1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Islamists in Iraq...from Syria

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

And they're not insane. The Kurds actually despise the radical Islamists and just want to live and raise their families. They're also tougher than nails, moreso than the cowardly Arabs surrounding them, and is why they're not already exterminated. If we had helped them establish a new state, they would be one of our strongest allies in the region right now. We missed a great opportunity.

Allene and ethics like this.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Shit, I can hear the bearings whistling on that POS Mi-17. :D

Another one crashed today when it was mobbed.

4. ethics

Jesus, this is weird: http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-iran-rush-to-aid-kurdish-peshmerga-forces-1407976463

Still, I don't think the situation changed much yet. There was also news US spec ops camped out on the mountain for 24hrs to evaluate the situation (have been retrieved a few hrs ago).

screenshot_11.png

5. Sierra Mike

What's weird about it? Like I told you before, Iran is spooked, big time. They stand to lose a lot if the Shia buffer zone of Iraq disappears and the barbarians are camped out in front of their gates. After the war with Saddam and decades of embargoes, they don't have spares for their military.

6. ethics

Just weird how we are on the same side with them, is all.

7. Sierra Mike

We're not on the same side, our interests have simply intersected. Believe me, once ISIS/ISIL/Whatever It Is Today is yesterday's news, we'll be back to talking about Iranian nukes.

ethics likes this.
  8. ethics

Ok good, back to normal. :p

9. Greg

Greg Full Member

IMO Iranian nukes = no more Israel. Remember they don't have to launch a warhead. They can put one in the back of a Jeep. It would be the ultimate suicide vest. Drive it into Tel Aviv and pull the pin and it's all over.

Could they bypass Israeli security? I dunno. Maybe. Maybe not. If Tel Aviv disappears in a puff of nuclear fallout then I guess we'll know.

Could it be proven? NSA says they can tell where the nuke came from by the fallout signature. I'm skeptical.

10. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

They can tell where the fissile material originated from, as each reactor has a "fingerprint" in the mix of different radiological isotopes and their proportions. It does not tell you who built or launched the weapon.

And I didn't say any of this.

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

And there's another problem. There's nukes floating around the Middle East and there's Islamic extremists floating around the middle east. It's not impossible to believe there is some chance one of the nukes might fall into extremist hands. Doesn't matter where a hand grenade came from, only who pulled the pin. There may be no way of knowing that.

Also, think about the consequences of a nuke being detonated anywhere in the middle east.

I sure wish there was more support for an energy independent America. If it weren't for politics and tree huggers America could easily become energy independent.

12. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I'm not so sure Iran would nuke them, as Israel also contains a lot of Islamic Holy sites plus a lot of Muslims.

ethics likes this.
  13. Greg

Greg Full Member

Well Iran is definitely working on their own nuke. Who would they use it on?

14. ethics

Power and fame. Nukes are mostly made to intimidate and diffuse.

15. Greg

Greg Full Member

You can't intimidate anybody who knows it won't be used on them.

What I mean is that I believe there is a chance that Iran could nuke Israel. Particularly Tel Aviv, not Jerusalem.

16. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Because once you have a nuke, other nations have little power over you, and you can no longer be invaded like Iraq was.

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

Sorry DSL, US could nuke Iran any day of the week and twice on Sunday, given the reason and the excuse. And all Israel would need would be the excuse. Fuck the reason.

Except then Israel would have to admit they belong to the nuke club.

Actually if it weren't for the vast Iranian non-political public I'd do it right now. Problem is, most of the Iranians (from what I hear from my Iranian Jew friends) want a modern Western society, and it's just the Imams and brain washed extremists who want Muslim power and an Islamic nuke.

18. Sierra Mike

OK, now what? I know if I were the Campaigner in Chief, I'd step away from the telepodium and ask SOCOM to start placing killer teams in the area, or at least within striking distance. Going through this again is distasteful, but having Americans being beheaded in YouTube videos seems even more so.

19. ethics

You are talking Obama here.

20. ethics