1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Islamists in Iraq...from Syria

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So you know the rebels that wanted to overthrow Assad? Mainly ISIS? Yeah, well, once Russia put a check mate to US on supporting these thugs, they've found an easier target to go after and now they are in Tikrit (think Stalingrad) and Mosul, and making a push in to other big cities with no push back -- at least not much of it.

Some people tried to flee the area, here's some of the results (sorry for graphic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one is exactly what you think it is. Some more vids of captured "soldiers" by ISIS:

While that's bad, guess what else ISIS picked up on the way? Here's just one pic:

[​IMG]

Yes, American cache of what we've left Iraqis. How do I know all of this? I follow Arab press on twitter and they have been reporting this for about 2 weeks.

Today, Obama comes on and says that the US was caught blind sided by this? Are you kidding me?

Iraq Battles Islamists in Saddam’s Hometown, 80 Miles From Baghdad - Bloomberg

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Today, Obama comes on and says that the US was caught blind sided by this? Are you kidding me"

Well, to be honest, it took a while for him to learn about it by reading the paper.

There are no words to describe my fury over how much this amateur community organizer has set back the progress of the last 200+ years of our military.

How the hell are "we" to be taken seriously now as a military force after what has taken place in the last few days.

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

As a tank guy this will piss you off beyond...

4. ethics

And one of the ISIS commanders inspecting and liking what he sees here:

[​IMG]

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, I see the Iraqi army is the same as it was under Saddam.

"Someone's shooting at us? RUN AWAY! LET THEM HAVE THE CIVILIANS, WE MUST SAVE OURSELVES!"

Don't worry too much about the equipment, Leon. They'll fuck it all up in a year. And I must confess, like Obama, I too was caught blindsided by this...

...ten days ago.

ethics likes this.
  6. ethics

7. Sierra Mike

8. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I would hate to see the Kurds get sucked into this, but Sunnis and Shi'tes fighting each other again? Perhaps even another Iran-Iraq war? Is there any upside to us having any level of involvement in that? I don't see why we should fix the cocked-up colonialist partitioning of the Ottoman Empire.

9. Sierra Mike

BUT THEY MADE SUCH FANCY FOOT STOOLS

Not to worry, though...their ally in Congress, Nancy Pelosi, has already dismissed US involvement.

10. ethics

Kurds took over Kirkuk yesterday and they have no option other than get involved -- their lives depend on it.

11. ethics

McCain:
    “Could all this have been avoided? …The answer is absolutely yes,” McCain said. “If I sound angry it’s because I am angry.”
    “It’s the time that the president got a new national security team,” he said. He suggested putting retired Gen. David Petraeus, the former commander of the Iraq war, U.S. Central Command and the CIA, in charge…

McCain Calls for Obama’s National Security Team to Resign Over Iraq - Defense One

12. ethics

ISIS accounts say they executed 1700 Shiite soldiers of Iraq army who surrendered in Tikrit. 2500Sunni soldiers pardoned

13. Sierra Mike

See? THEY'RE REASONABLE PEOPLE

14. ethics

Obama to Palm Springs for -- mainly -- golf.

15. Sierra Mike

ethics likes this.
  16. Sierra Mike

17. ethics

I actually like that response.

18. Arc

Arc Full Member

If anyone has noticed most of the fighting against Assad has stopped or been scaled back in Syria. That is because the insurgents or rebels had morphed into two distinct groups. One are the "regular" insurgents or rebels seeking to overthrow Assad. The other is the Islamic Extremists of which ISIS makes up some.

The regular insurgents and rebels are currently more afraid of the extremists coming to power than they are of Assad. So they are currently directing most of their efforts to fight the extremist elements as they know that if that group ever comes to power it will be bad for them and the whole country.

ethics likes this.
  19. Allene

Allene Registered User

I actually agree with what he said. We've done enough babysitting in the Middle East.

Re Clint Eastwood: I think his new love is actually older than his soon-to-be ex-wife. MyLife says she (the girlfriend) was born in 1963. He should wonder why she wants to spend time with an 84-year-old man. She's a blonde and not bad looking, but no match for Dina.

20. ethics

My big beef with Iraq is Maliki refused to sign agreement that would allow even a small number of US soldiers to be stationed in Iraq. He did this to appease fundamentalist segments of the Iraqi Population. He was presented with a stable option with a high probability of success, and he decided to go the other way and side with the fundamentalists within his own party. So, you know what? You reap what you sow.

On top of that, and the bigger reason is that America needs to make it clear that there are repercussions for not following our preferred strategy. Had American troops still had a presence in Iraq (albeit very small comparatively to 2009), it is unlikely that the ISIS would have been able to advance as far as they already have. And of course, the world police. We are not out of the economic mess and we need resources here in the US, not from Iraq.

My ONLY regret in this opinion is that Iran asked for help. Bringing Iran closer to us would reap benefits to both countries.