1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Islam...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

My brother sent me this in the email and I just finished reading it.

Such a shame, I mean really.

3. jamming

jamming Banned

50 people Dead and 200 wounded over a Newspaper Article, what a shame.

4. ethics

Nice new avatar. :)

5. IamZed

IamZed ...

He heard Sharon liked it..

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

No excess is too much if in the name of religion.

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Yes. And those excesses mostly are not noticed.

We all were upset over the rioting, and also over the sentence of death by stoning for Amina Lawal. Once those outrageous violations of normal standards of civilized behavior pass from the news headlines, however, we tend to forget that other acts of barbarism are carried out in Nigeria on a daily basis, in the name of religeon. The stoning has been stopped -- or at least put on hold. The riots are over. But on a day by day basis things like this occur:

[​IMG]

Lawali Isa's right hand was cut off for stealing three bicycles.

Story at:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2587039.stm

These same practices are carried out in other placess, too, of course. They were common in Afghanistan under the Taliban and are practiced in other Islamic states where Sharia law has been adopted. Some of them are our allies.

I do not recall seeing the human rights activists making a fuss over this sort of thing, but maybe I have missed something.

8. ethics

That's because America (or Israel) is not involved.

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Leon, you are a perpetual cynic. :)

10. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

that's why he is right most of the time ;-p

11. Basilio

Basilio Banned

Using human rights as a cry is often tied to political goals, and if an Islamic state is not an ally of the United States or there is a desire to place pressure on it, its human rights record will be highlighted in the press... At any rate, we do not hear so much about their human rights abuses whether they are secular or religious regimes.... It is to make a case for war or sanctions......
    There is after all attempts to make cases for wars for the public masses....
    As far as the Nigeria pageant, I do think that the writer should have thought about her words, stating that a religious figure would have married one of the pageants is to state that the figure in question is focused so much on outer beauty of women rather than their inner beauty, perhaps, and to use a religious figure in order to promote an event such as a beauty agent.
    That said, it showed a lack of rationality to have a governor claim he could issue some Islamic fatwa and some masses went on some rampage.... It is that thinking that if someone insults your religious leader you must go for blood, that certainly is not spiritual as we all know...