1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this real?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Arc, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Arc

Arc Full Member

Below is the text version of a image email I received. I cancelled, (not deactivated), my account in Facebook at least a month ago. The email version "looks" legitimate in form in all the customary ways. Normally I would simply ignore these types of messages from anyone else without a thought. But I have a terminally ill special and close friend who has gone silent on me since July 4th and doesn't respond to my emails even though I am important to them. Their last email was from the hospital and grim. I fear they are worse or have died as it has been very emotionally important to them to keep in contact with me. Normally they would contact me about every three days. I have no way of contacting them directly other than by email through their computer or Blackberry. They are a member of Facebook as are a few people who are mutual friends. But I only have access to those mutual friends through Facebook. So in light of the situation I am curious if it is possible the message is legit as the lost message be some friend trying to notify me of the situation with my ill friend.

I strongly suspect the message is fraud despite its mostly proper appearance because I cancelled the account AND the word "receive" in the message is misspelled "recieve." I've never clicked on a bad link in my computer life and I would like to keep it that way.

Opinions please.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Facebook sent you a notification

You have 1 lost message on Facebook, to recover a message follow the link below:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?lost_message=69b35e12

FAQ: Can you recieve messages if your inbox is full?
    Frequently Asked Questions

The message was sent to XXXX@gmail.com. If you don't want to receive these emails from Facebook in the future or have your email address used for friend suggestions, you can unsubscribe. Facebook, Inc. P.O. Box 10005, Palo Alto, CA 94303

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Do you have a telephone number for your friend? I noticed that misspelled word too. I don't use FB much at all, but I cancelled it once and didn't get anything like this. Actually, it was still there when I tried to join it again. I'm still on it and hardly ever go to my page. In the meantime, people do send me messages, but I'm never notified of them via email. Maybe someone who is more active on FB can advise you.

3. Arc

Arc Full Member

To the forum regarding my OP:

I would appreciate some more feedback on my question.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I would go to Facebook's help on this. Out of my league as to whether it's legit or not.