1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the American Movie Ratings system getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Star Trek: Nemesis became the second Star Trek film to recieve a PG-13 rating. Star Trek: The Motion Picture originally had a G rating, but many years later it was upgraded to a PG rating. Many of the latest Disney movies are getting by with PG ratings. My question is why? What has happened that causes only movies taking place in "the land of pink fuzzy bunnies" to be recieving the G rating?

2. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

In order to maintain a G rating, it must be approved by every Christian group in the USA. Good luck. I don't know how disney does it.

3. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

the movie studios don't want a G rating. (unless it's a disney movie) i read that if a movie looks like it will get a G rating ,they will add something just to be sure of geting at least a PG. G rated movies don't make as much money. ( again, unless it's disney)

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good point. G rating is bought by a company big enough and rich enough to buy it. ;)

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

That's actually very true. Paramount was a bit shocked when Star Trek: The Motion Picture got a G; they presumed that since it had some colorful vernacular and some sensuality (Persis Khambatta in the shower) that it would get the then-coveted PG. Supposedly, the rating cost the film about 5-10 million bucks in box office receipts, after failing to hook a lot of non-Trekkie viewers. And since the film cost about $42m in 1979 dollars, and I believe it's box office run (which ended in early 1980) topped out at $77m domestically, leaving it in the red. These figures are from Variety; IMDB has it pegged at $35m with a domestic cumulative box office of $82.3m. I believe the Variety figures are the correct ones.

The film has gone way black since then though, with some fairly lucrative pre-sales to cable, home video, and the recent rerelease on DVD. I have no figures for foreign box office. IMDB also cites a worlwide cume of $139m, which was pretty good for 1980. Not stellar, but OK.

As far as Star Trek: Nemesis getting a PG-13, that's only a good thing for the film $ wise. There's also (apparently, having not seen the film) more violence in it than in the original. Its budget is locked at $70m, but you can bet that it will enjoy a secure back-end with foreign pre-sales and cable/DVD/broadcast TV rights already locked and loaded, something which wasn't always possible in 1979. I would peg its worldwide cume as around $150m. That would be substantially less if the film were rated G. That's actually pretty poor, but then and again, Star Trek has been a pretty underperforming movie franchise.

SM