1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is SARS really the FLU?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Apr 26, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Let's start here: the list of SARS symptoms is indistinguishable from the
    symptoms of ordinary pneumonias and flu.

That's right.

If you took two people---one who had been diagnosed with SARS and one who had
    some regular pneumonia or flu---you would not be able to eyeball the difference.

I know that people don't want to believe this, but they also don't want to
    believe that a stock they just bought is worthless junk that is heading into the

Sometimes you have to see the facts before the facts burn you.

Okay. Now, here are a few stats for Canada. The first is from the Canadian
    Institute for Health Information: "Overall, influenza/pneumonia is a major
    contributor to deaths and hospitalizations among the elderly. It is the leading
    cause of death from infectious disease in Canada."

This statement was made in 2001.

Here is the second stat, from Statistics Canada: In 1996, there were 7627 deaths
    from pneumonia and influenza in Canada.

So we could say right now that the leading cause of death from infectious
    disease in Canada is SARS---because one cannot tell the difference between the
    symptoms of influenza, regular pneumonia, and SARS.

But we would be better off saying that the clinical diagnosticians in Canada
    don't know what they're doing, can't make a positive diagnosis of SARS, and are
    shifting cases of traditional flu and pneumonia over into the new SARS category.

Now, people want to counteract these subversive comments by pointing out that
    SARS cases are only those people who have the new coronavirus.

However, this would be a lie. The Canadian researchers have already admitted
    that with even the most sensitive tests, they can only find evidence of the
    virus in 40 percent of the SARS cases.

And in those 40 percent, the amount of virus they are finding is so miniscule
    they don't know how it could be causing disease at all.

You may still be hanging back, not wanting to believe me. But if you had a
    cough and a light fever, and someone snatched you out of your office and put you
    in a compound on the premises and told you you had to stay there for a month and
    could receive no visitors, you might begin to change your mind.

In China, they are doing a lot worse than that.

I'm getting exclusive reports from a foreign contact in Beijing. Here is the
    latest. In the two major hospitals there that have been sealed off, even
    non-SARS patients cannot receive visitors. Medical personnel who live on the
    grounds of those hospitals---and many do---are virtual prisoners.

Two university dorms and their 500 residents have been sealed off. No one can

Contradicting Western claims that there is no test for SARS yet, Chinese
    officials say they have one and are using it. They say they can run 10,000
    blood samples a day. Who knows what kind of test this is or what it is actually
    measuring. Since the Canadians need a PCR procedure---which amplifies
    super-tiny gene fragments---to even detect the possible/maybe/could-be presence
    of the coronavirus, one must be suspicious of the Chinese test. It could be
    measuring antibodies to anything under the sun.

People are lining up at drugstores in Beijing to buy drugs that are hyped as
    prevention against SARS. Well, sure. They're hoping to suppress a future cough
    that might land them in a sealed off area under guard.

Pets are now being cited as possible carriers of SARS. This may lead to people
    tossing their dogs and cats out into the streets to fend for themselves.

The science-hysteria has reached a fever pitch in Hong Kong, where researchers
    claim there are now six versions of the SARS virus, and a person may recover
    from one only to get another.

Also in Hong Kong, newspapers are reporting that people who have no symptoms of
    any kind will be quarantined as...what? Carriers? Thirty families have already
    been sealed off under some such pretext.

Back on mainland China, in Canton, where hundreds of cases have been diagnosed,
    there was a major trade show last week. Hello? The government apparently
    doesn't really think the disease is that serious. Major corporate activity goes
    on. People fly in and out.

Moving on: Australian press sources confirm that in the Victoria province,
    police have been given the green light to forcibly detain SUSPECTED SARS cases.
    Ditto for Western Australia.

The Australia Herald Sun reports that Hong Kong doctors are now classifying some
    cases of organ failure as SARS. People who at first present with lung
    infections then develop organ failure=SARS. Well, that can happen with regular
    pneumonias too. Soon we may see people with kidney failure who never had lung
    infections classified as SARS---thus bringing into the fold new and artificially
    inflated case statistics. "Yes, he died of kidney failure, but he was coughing
    a little too, so let's call it SARS."

The Australians and possibly researchers from other countries will begin testing
    drugs against SARS. According to the Herald Sun, among these are "16 AIDS
    drugs, 13 herpes drugs, and seven drugs aimed at flu and other viruses."

The AIDS drugs will shred immune systems. They stop replication of all cells in
    the body. They are basically chemo compounds. So more people will get sick,
    that will be called a SARS complication, and there will be deaths. These death
    stats "from SARS" will escalate, thus painting a more grim picture of the

One aspect of this whole global scam is the number of deaths occurring in
    hospitals. Patients and doctors and nurses. As you might already know,
    hospitals are great places for catching diseases. In this regard, a Reuters
    dispatch of April 23, passing unnoticed, is quite important:

A new study out of the University of Arkansas shows the health danger of mold
    that gets into hospital water supplies: "An important cause of illness and
    death in patients with weakened immune systems."

"70 percent of the 368 water samples that were obtained" contained molds.

The study is published in the journal Blood. 2003;101:2542-2546.

The implications of this study are rather awesome. Patients in hospitals for
    any reason, patients whose immune systems are suppressed for any reason
    (including the drugs they are being given) are at risk for more serious illness
    and death because of mold.

And if you have ever seen anyone with a mold infection, you know you may see a
    cough and respiratory involvement.

"Let's call it SARS."

What are the mold conditions in hospitals in China, Hong Kong, Australia,

Hospitals, rather than being places where patients are treated, can become
    self-fulfilling prophecies for inflated SARS statistics.

It would be like having a microscope you use to analyze blood. You don't
    realize that this particular microscope is shedding particles on to the slide
    and those particles are toxic to people who are immune-compromised. So you say,
    "Wow, I'm seeing disease particles that show this person with this blood sample
    is sick." You think the microscope is helping to diagnose, but it is spreading
    disease. That would be a rough analogy to a hospital that is treating illness
    but is actually a fertile soup that is causing it.

And finally, from Taiwan, I'm reading reports that airline passengers who get
    off planes are required to have their temperatures taken. If they refuse, they
    can be hauled off and also fined 60,000 Taiwanese dollars.

Oral or rectal?

Reposted with permissions from here.
  2. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Except that one of the symptoms for SARS is difficulty breathing. I don't believe the flu has that as a symptom.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

But ordinary pneumonia does..

The more I read about this, I have to wonder who stands to benefit from the ruckus?
  4. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

The CDC made an announcment last week or so, that we have taken a new look at the way we ourselves our classifying this disease. We were classifying SARS like symptoms cases and calling them SARS, when they could have been pneomonia or flu. I don't know how we are doing things differently now to distinguish it, unless the common denominator is the fact that the people who are sick that we consider SARS, recently had visited China or were exposed to visitors here in the USA, while the disease was highly contagious, and caught it through direct contact with those persons. So we have 2 people who have it, who are not with flu or pneomonia, and are proven to have SARS who didn't travel to China.

This whole SARS thing is really starting to look more and more strange by the day. If it's killing people in China in large numbers, I can see their fear in wanting to keep it from spreading...but damn what is it that is making it spread there and not anywhere else???? It has to be environmental factors involved or something the Chinese aren't immune to through vacinations or something? Maybe something in their water weakens their immunity? In their air? Maybe it's because they eat fish from the waters there or eat animals and their ingestion changes their immunities? It's mind boggling. Doesn't it seem like it should have spread here and other countries in the same manner already? I'm glad it hasn't, but it's weird. :huh:
  5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

stupid question:

is pneumonia contagious? The flu is very contagious - it can be airborne or you can get it from touching something someone with the flu touched. But is pneumonia the same?

I've had pneumonia, and I got it from being at home. No one else around me got it, and no one else at the school I was going to got it - which is why I am asking.

I think SARS is probably a cross between the flu and pneumonia.
  6. Violet1966

Pneumonia is indeed contagious. I just learned this recently and had never known it was contagious. It's contagious but since it's in the lungs, it's not as contagious as we might fear. Viral is more contagious. It's usually that pneumonia is the result of a contagious flu or cold, and that spreads and can cause the same results in another person who has gotten the same cold or flu, or may not. Here's some more info on it.

7. ethics

Check out the headline in the NY Post, today, Biker. :)
  8. Biker

I really have to wonder if this is something they're missing completely, and is totally unrelated to the coronavirus. I keep hearing reports of people that have been tested and show the virus in their system, yet do not show any symptoms of SARS. 60% of the actual SARS cases did not reveal the virus to be present in the individual. So what's causing it?
  9. melpomene

melpomene Banned

10. Violet1966

I saw on the news over the weekend, that there may actually be a few strains already of the SARS virus. Also that it looks like the virus can survive on surfaces for weeks!!! :(
  11. ethics

I still say it's less dangerous than the Flu.

South Park actually had a parody on it.

Dying father, "Stan, I may not be with you tomorrow, and only more than 98% of us may survive..."

Stan: "NO!!!!! DAD YOU CAN'T DIE!"
  12. melpomene

melpomene Banned

the only thing to worry about with the SARS virus, is that it is a multiple mutating virus...................by the time, a vaccine is discovered, the vaccine becomes useless to combat the mutating virus. So...............scientists are now looking at the mutating element of the virus. This is the source to combating this disease from a clinical level. However, i agree, with ethics, there is a little bit of hysteria surrounding the SARS virus.
  13. Biker

Phooey.. If they're able to find a vaccine for this virus, they'll find one for the common cold. It isn't going to happen.
  14. Violet1966

Exactly why this SARS is scary to me. It's a cold virus. Well we don't have any cold vaccine yet, so this SARS will either kill many or help us finally find a cure for the common cold.

Also, isn't herpes a spin off of the cold too? There's no cure for herpes yet either. Chicken pox vaccine isn't even 100 percent and I would think that it's related to herpes isn't it?
  15. ethics

I don't believe we have a fool proof FLU vaccine either because by the time your innoculations happen in November, the strain has mutated in to something different in 3 months time.
  16. melpomene

melpomene Banned

yes violet, they are all virus'. there is no vaccine for any form of virus'.

i will just have to ignore your comments Biker. you need to do some more reading on virus'.
  17. Biker

Do more reading? Why?

The mere fact that they're throwing a ton of money at researching a vaccine is stupid. They'll not find a cure for this in a traditional "vaccine" sense, and it's idiotic to think they would.
  18. No_Lady

No_Lady New Member

I agree with you Biker. Isn't this basically the same thing that happened when the AIDS scare started?
  19. Biker

AIDS is far more dangerous than SARS ever will be. Most will recover from SARS. You never recover from AIDS.
  20. No_Lady

No_Lady New Member

Yes I know but the same thing happened they are putting in alot of money to find a cure that they still haven't found.