1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Putin a Palæoconservative?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by David M, Dec 28, 2013.

1. David M

David M Full Member

In his recent 70-minute televised state-of-the-nation address, Russia's President Vladimir Putin defended his anti-gay legislation and criticized same-sex marriage, declaring that traditional family values were the foundation of Russia's greatness and a bulwark against "so-called tolerance — genderless and infertile." In referring to the new Russian anti-gay law, he chided the West for treating "good and evil" equally.

Commenting on the speech, Pat Buchanan asked: "Is Putin One of Us?"

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

David, I think Putin is a dictator, period! As someone in the Comments section of your link mentioned, "People who get in his way have accidents and end up dead." I am not all that gung-ho over Pat Buchanan either. I actually agree with some of what Putin says. America is a deeply divided country that often appears to be going to hell in a hand basket. That said, I wish governments would butt out of certain things and stay out of people's bedrooms. History has a habit of repeating itself. When the pendulum swings too far to the right or left, it generally moderates itself eventually. That's my hope, even though I may not live to see it happen.

3. David M

David M Full Member

In this debate I'm an outsider with regard to both the United States and Russia, so I'm unable to answer Buchanan's question. I certainly agree that Putin is a dictator, but viewed from outside it does sometimes look as though sections of U.S. right-wing opinion have a lot in common with his views when it comes to social policy and issues like gay marriage.

By his own public admission, Putin has decided to brand himself as a social conservative. Somehow it doesn't bode well for the future of either country.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I think there are different degrees of social conservatism in this country. Some of it goes outside my comfort zone. That said, I don't favor the current government's practice of shoving their values down other people's throats.

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

It's pathetic to see a country that is still hung up in GLBT issues while in America we are so post-GLBT that we wonder whatever it was all about. Yeah that was then but now is now and GLBT is part of America's personscape now. No going back, we are a gay nation or more accurately we are both a gay nation and a heterosexual nation. We have reached the status that gender is not an issue, legally, although many may still carry a grudge that it's a personal issue.

I'm still mostly not happy with GLBT issues but I figure it's time to cut our losses and move on.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

I think we have far worse things to worry about than GLBT. I have family, friends, and acquaintances who are in that group and have been in it for years. The field I worked in for nearly 30 years always had quite a few gay men in it. Putin's attitude creeps me out. It's not based on a higher moral ground, but on more control of the people under him. Our current government likes to shove things down people's throats--like trying to force religious organizations to pay for things that go against their beliefs. That's wrong in my eyes. I could go on, but I won't. It would just be more of the same old, same old!

7. David M

David M Full Member

Perhaps one difference, though, is that while Obama may like to shove things down people's throats, he's not, like Putin, actually locking people up, having them murdered, or sending them to remote prison camps for expressing their beliefs?

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

I don't think anybody here is claiming that Obama is murdering anyone.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

No, he just sends a drone after 'em. :yellowlaugh:

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

This topic seems to becoming bizarre. GLBT are part of Obama's electorate.

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

I was talking about GLBT as humans, not voters. Putin is using them in an effort to make himself look like he's a class act who always travels the moral high road, and Obama has been using them to win elections.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

IMO Putin has absolutely no qualms about doing anything to keep and increase his power; nothing is beneath him.

Obama? Putin makes Obama's antics look pathetic. I can't make up my mind whether America would benefit if Obama were more stupid or less stupid. More stupid and he may accidentally cause more damage. Less stupid and he might have the brains to really screw up America, on purpose.

One thing for sure, America is a lot more screwed up than it was 6 years ago, and it has Obama's name on it.