1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it time for DVD Burners Yet?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Dec 18, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

DVD burners have emerged as a hot Christmas item this year -- but consumers need to consider the "pluses and minuses" of what they're buying.

The machines allow people to create their own DVDs, just as CD burners let users make compact discs of their own design. But they come in two main varieties. What many consumers don't know: The burners they're buying may not work with the DVD player they already own.

As with any new technology that has rival formats -- remember VHS vs. Beta -- there's a fight under way between manufacturers over which standard will dominate the market. It's too early to say which version -- the "plus" version or the rival "dash" format -- is going to succeed.

The issue is important because some DVD players read discs made in one format, but not others. The clash is moving to center stage because consumers are beginning to flock to DVD burners the way they did to compact-disc burners. World-wide shipments of DVD burners are expected to more than double this year, to 5.07 million, compared with just 1.42 million last year, according to technology research firm International Data Corp. The firm projects the number will shoot up to more than 14 million next year.

ALLOWED
    You can make copies of your own home videos or copy collections of home-shot movies from videocassette onto DVD, since that material belongs to you. Most legal experts also say that consumers can burn DVDs of free broadcast television shows (an episode of "Friends," for example) for their own "time shifted" home viewing.

NOT ALLOWED
    Making copies of a DVD or videocassette feature film that you bought crosses the legal line, according to movie studios. (Some people argue that there may be "fair use" exceptions, like teachers using material for a class.) Also generally not allowed: downloading a copy of a Hollywood movie from one of the free (but unauthorized) Internet services like Livewire.com.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Speaking only for myself I am not ready to buy. I can see where there could be imperatives but until standards are set I am better off waiting. I can buy a second hard drive, image it, and have a much better and cheaper backup than a DVD burner. And I am not into home movies. What I do take can still be viewed on a computer screen from a CD so I am not anxious. Plus the speed of the CD burners is still very slow. And the speed fo the combo DVD/CDRW is so slow on the CDRW side I would not consider purchasing that unit just to save space.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Another problem I've noticed is the size of the media. Blank DVD-RW's are only 4.7 GB, while most movies are 5+ GB's. So, if you are getting a DVD Burner in an effort to copy movies, you may be SOL.

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

It's because currently DVD burners only burn single layer disks, when many movies are double layer. As far as copying your own DVDs. No matter what hollywood would like, you can back-up your DVD collection in case your 3 year old son decides to play frisbee. I know many people who don't use their original CDs and just use copies. The originals are stored safely. My dad does it with his laptop, because it is much easier to lose originals in a laptop case when your taking your laptop everywhere.

Personally I am going to wait for a standard to emerge and prices to go down more before I purchase a DVD burner. No matter how much the geek in me screams buy it now, I refuse to spend $300 on something that could become useless...

5. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

add me to that list :). i have 90% or so of my music ripped to a partition on my HDD. whatever i feel like listening to, i burn an MP3 cd----my car cd player does MP3 :).

.........but i'm going to wait to get a DVD burner. i have no need for one until i have a DVD compatible head unit in my car (if they're even going to make one). that way, i could fit what, maybe 1000 MP3's on one disc? beats the current 115 or so that i can do now :).

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I'm waiting for a standard to come out. Right now, no standard means no Misu dollars going their way :)

7. IamZed

IamZed ...

I have one. I have never used it. My last computer had a CD burner. I never used it.

8. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Way too early to by a DVD burner yet...unless your one that just has to have the latest and greatest. The burn speeds are not nearly what they need to be for that size medium and the price still has to drop alot.

and I do the same as you Scott..burn 'em, rip 'em, and save the original...:_

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

It is definitely not time for me to purchase a DVD burner yet. The price of the burner is not what concerns me. The lack of a standard is a big enough reason for me to wait, and the price of blank media just makes my decision to wait even more solid.

If blank DVD's cost as much as blank CD-R's do, I would probably buy a DVD burner tomorrow even though there is no standard yet.