1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it finally time for the US to withdraw from UN?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by saber11, Jan 23, 2003.

1. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

I believe the time has come to withdraw from the UN. The UN is showing their true colors, France and Germany plan to veto any UN lead action against IRAQ.

I have believed the US should withdraw from the UN for a very long time.

Seems like when it comes to fighting other people's wars, the UN calls the US. Lebanon, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkins, ect. They have no problem asking the US for help.

On the flip side, when the US wants to take action against IRAQ, the UN berates us, plays stalling tactics, and generally aside from Britian, and a handfull of other countries our resolutions typically do not gain support. The UN complains that the US doesn't contribute it's fair share.

It seems we fare better on our own, and with our allies. Although since France and Germany are hem hawing around maybe we should re-think about having them as allies.

When the US took action against Libya in the 80's, correct me if I'm wrong, we did not seek UN approval first.

The UN in it's current state today is a very weak organisation, and not fulfilling it's role in life. Let's put the UN out of it's misery.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A big, resounding, YES! from me.

I do, however, hope that something in place of the current UN would be put together, even if the US is the only member.

3. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Well we are in NATO, and while France and Germany are also, NATO is more of a "protective" organisation--"an attack on one is an attack on all"

Which may be better suited in a world where we will be fighting, preventing, and responding to terrorists.

Since the demise of Warrsaw pact, NATO has expanded as well, even some states that aren't UN members are applying for NATO membership.

4. ethics

5. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing that link, I will read through that thread later but I'm at work now so I just skimmed it.

6. eakes

eakes Registered User

Whether the US withdraws from UN or not, I think it is time to request that the UN remove its headquarters from the US and relocate. Maybe to the African continent or possibly Saudi Arabia.

7. ethics

Remove them from NYC, PLEASE.

8. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Downtown Baghdad might be a good place for them, or Terhan, Iran,

9. ethics

I was thinking more along the lines of West Bank, or Gaza.

10. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I would go one step further and say that the UN should be shut down completely. It no longer serves it original purpose and has become laughing stock. (Making Libya chair of the Human Rights board :( )

11. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Nigeria. It combines all the aspects of poor climate, corrupt business and government, and lack of modern infrastructure.

12. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Might be a "bit" over the edge, but my solution would make for a hell of a wake-up call to the world!

1. Toss the UN off our soil. (mid-east is fine with me. Let them have the "Honor" of hosting such a mess....

2. Pull ALL of our troops home for at least one year.

3. Seal the borders to all immigration.(we will have the troops available to do so.)
    Immigrants/green-card holders? See ya! Tourism would be fine. Give fingerprints/DNA sample at the entry point, and 3 (THREE) contacts in this country who can vouch for your whereabouts. Otherwise go pound salt.

4. Call in ALL foreign debt. (we have the forces to do it at gunpoint if neccesary)

5. KILL ALL FOREIGN AID!!!! We have people starving here at home, why are we giving countries like Israel BILLIONS?????

6. Pay off all of OUR foreign debt with monies received from what is owed us.

7. Sit back, and watch the world go to hell in a handbasket around us, and pick up the scraps of humanity when they all blow themselves up without our help.

Sure.. a tad radical.. but I bet it would show the rest of the world how much they REALLY depend on US for their livelyhoods!:p

13. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

The UN was our baby. We created it, shaped it, and give it a home. Then when we decide we don't like their decisions we kick them out? What kind of message does that send the world? It's basically like your either with us, or against us. We can either turn back to the Monroe doctrine of non-interference, stay with the UN, or leave the UN and screw any country that breathes the wrong way. In fact I believe the UN is preventing our current administration from royally screwing up. I reckon with out the UN we'd be waging war in at least 3 different countries (Iraq, France, and North Korea) by now. The UN serves a purpose. You may not like the purpose, but there are times when it isn't always the best idea to send in commandos to fix up the world's problems...

14. Techie2000

M1, I'm going to have to agree a bit with you. I personally am in favor of a Monroe Doctrine approach. Especially the debt/aid thing. I like the idea of concentrating and fixing problems at home for a while...

15. ethics

We didn't kick UN out, UN kicked US out a looooong time ago.

16. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Actually, I find the UN to be comforting proof that the so-called "New World Order" with a unified, global government will never come to pass.

17. Techie2000

So its more like an Anakin Skywalker vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi thing?

18. ethics

I am not a fan of SW, so can't tell you if the analogy fits. ;)

19. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

LOL

Good point Stevent, but at the exact same time we have this new "EU" to worry about. Maybe that's the updated model for the "New World Order"?

20. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Kinda like if you have a 20 year old unemployed slacker "kid" living in your house. You hatched him, you raised him, you watched his deminse, now you can either keep paying the freight to continue his slip in into a sloven state of decay, or you can push him out to stand on his own.