1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Addiction an Adaptation?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Jan 22, 2015.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Pretty thought-provoking article.

TL;DR:

A rat in a cage alone prefers the water bottle laced with heroin or cocaine over the one with plain water.

A group of rats in a nice cage with toys, tunnels, good food, etc. prefer the plain water to the drug-laced version.

Vietnam War: According to a study published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, 20% of soldiers in Vietnam became addicted to heroin. When they returned home, 95% of those soldiers simply stopped, many without rehab.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Very interesting. I thought about how AA works when I started reading the article. AA gets mentioned quite a bit in the comments section. The author does leave room for those who don't respond to a change in "cages," which I think is also true.

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I haven't read it yet, however I can speak to this, having dealt with a lot of people with co-occuring disorders (mental health issues with substance abuse).

MH issues will isolate people from society. I have said, "MH is not a casserole disease." A lot of people will also indulge in substances to "self-medicate" their condition.

Seeing this happen time and time again, and the MH "Professionals" saying shit like "This is the best you'll ever be. Get used to it." I was fairly disgusted with the MH system. I could go on about it, however I don't have the energy right now.