1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IRS Woes Keeping Taxpayers on Hold

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Expect long wait times on the phone and slower processing of filings this year, according to the national taxpayer advocate.

Federal taxpayers can expect the worst customer services from the Internal Revenue Service in 14 years, according to a new report.

Budget cuts, reduced staffing and an increase in the number of tax returns will likely mean longer waits on the phone and slower processing of filings, Nina E. Olson, the national taxpayer advocate, said in a report Wednesday.

“Taxpayers who need help are not getting it, and tax compliance is likely to suffer over the longer term if these problems are not quickly and decisively addressed,” Olson wrote.

Thankfully, I don't need them to be fast. I am always paying up the wazoo. But for the rest of you... things aren't looking so hot.

IRS customer service this tax season may be the worst since 2001, report says - Fortune

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Yeah, I always wind up paying too. Funny that the Treasury is crying the blues, though.

ethics likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

That organization has lost its way and forgotten its mission.

ethics likes this.
  4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Maybe if they weren't wasting so much time weaponizing themselves for political purposes and more time doing their core function...

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Exactly!

6. eakes

eakes Registered User

Not only are they not answering the phone but they can't get the new tax forms completed. I use TurboTax to do my return and they have yet to complete the forms so I can do my taxes. It seems the government is just like private business: when there is dysfunctional upper management, it filters down through the ranks. The IRS employees have been so busy disrupting their political enemies, they can't do their normal jobs.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Budget cuts and staffing my ass.

At IRS 'Do Not Rehire' Means Welcome Aboard - Forbes