1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iraqis Would Support US Invasion

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 18, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Iraqis would largely welcome a US-led attack leading to the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, according to a survey of public opinion inside Iraq, <a href="http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=362281">the London Independent reports. </a>

Yes, you read that right. The paper says the Brussels-based International Crisis Group carried out "dozens of covert(Key) interviews" in Baghdad, the northern city of Mosul and Najaf, a religious center. "Few Iraqis opposed an invasion for patriotic reasons or fear that an attack would lead to heavy civilian casualties."

"We do not particularly want a US military strike, but we do want political change," said a Baghdad architect. "We are even ready to live under international tutelage. We have nothing to lose, and it cannot be any worse than our current condition."

Almost makes you wonder how Saddam managed to get 100% of the vote.

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Dang...I heard this on my commute home last night and couldn't find it in print anywhere. Makes you wonder about the latest pentagon hand wringing about protracted urban warfare if we invade.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I first said months ago that an invasion of Iraq will result in a quicker war than last time. There will be token resistance and surrender. And I hope the hell I am right.

<small>Where in the heck is the crossed fingers icon?</small>

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I agree. The biggest resistance will be prior to the conflict and will be outside the Iraqi borders.

5. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

It was 99%, if I remember correctly. 100% would have been an obvious fix, but 99% ...

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Like Arafat's last elections a decade ago.

Thanks. :)