1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iraqi Work Force...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by HaYwIrE, Oct 28, 2002.

1. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Iraqi blacksmith Ahmad, 4, works at a factory in Baghdad on Oct. 19. Due to 12 years of U.N. sanctions imposed on Iraq, many families send their children to work.

'Nuff said. :(

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

Um, whacha drivin at here, cowboy?

3. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Perhaps it's the late hour, but I must confess the meaning of your post escapes me too. :huh:

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I think (and I very well may be wrong) that Haywire's post implies the U.N. sanctions have done little to accomplish their intended goal(s).

To the contrary the sanctions have taken a human toll not unlike the one illustrated in the attached pic.

Is that compassion I see in that post Hawyire?

Now my own thoughts :

That picture breaks my heart, just like any picture depicting the plight of any child. I am sadly aware that countless other children suffer as badly, and much worse, in other areas of the world.

Famine, war, prostitution, slavery....the list goes on.

Kinda makes ya wonder if we all are aren't damned to hell for allowing such atrocities to happen on any level, anywhere.

Yeah I know.....what the hell can we do as individuals about any of this shit right? We're not in control therefore we are blameless right? I keep telling myself this but unfortunately the older I get the less I'm buying it.

I can only imagine how humanity is depicted in cosmic history books.

5. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

I remember a few years ago seeing a pic of a small group of kids about this age. They each had a mud brick in their hands and I first thought they were 'playing' with them. It then sunk in that they were WORKING!!!

This Benneton ad certainly had the desired effect.

Later it occurred to me that in this world of 6 billion people, rapidly heading for 12 billion, that there are countless millions of families where the male 'breadwinner' has no possible hope of doing just that. The mother has about the same chance of earning the food to keep the family from starvation. What then do we do if we see a 4 year old taking the chance of survival by stacking mud bricks or working at a machine? Do we take away that final chance and let him and his family starve?

John.

6. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Perhaps that's why I was confused. ;)

7. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Well, if that's what it was, it must have scared the devil out of him - he hasn't posted since... :)

8. jamming

jamming Banned

I don't like quite a bit of what Haywire posts, but he is no manical hater of fuzzy kittens and puppies. When Liberals use ridiculous rhetoric they are thought of as harmless oddballs, when Conservatives use such they are thought of as Right Wing Militia Groups that are coming to impose a religious fundamental tyranny. Haywire's rhetoric has been no more offensive than people here that paint religious people with the brush of corruption and hate. I would like to say, Haywire has endured much discussion about his opinions and motives, for the most part he has taken it very well.

9. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

He truly has, Jim.

I don't think anyone's intent here is to portray Haywire as a bad person. Heaven knows, many of us have a lot to say about what he posts, but we somehow all agree to disagree in the end. We're just picking at him a little bit...

10. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Hear, hear, jamming! One of my pet peeves is the double standard that often applies to Liberals versus Conservatives, fostered by the so-called mainsteam media. FE how often do you hear the prefix "right wing" or "conservative" applied to a person, as opposed to their "left wing" or "liberal" counterparts? Thanks for keeping the spotlight on this hypocrisy. :thumbsup:

11. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The concern here is that Haywire is staying quiet for so long following his post. Never seen that before.
    I'm not going to get too worried about a photo of a boy with a hammer. So what?
    Was this a photo released by Saddam as evidence of UN sanctions? It used to be called propaganda. Bit like that photo of the sign outside a bombed factory in Bagdad 10 years ago.. "Baby Milk Factory".

12. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Jesus folks...

I go away for a couple of days to get caught up with some work which I've been falling behind on <small>(BECAUSE OF HAVING TO ARGUE WITH YOU GOD DAMNED LIBERALS ALL FRIGGIN' DAY)</SMALL> and ya'll act like I died!

Did ya really miss me. <small>***BATTING EYES***</small>

Actually, what I see in that picture is just more reason to back our Commander-in-Chief on the impending <strike>war</strike> skirmish with Iraq.

As midranger4 pointed out, the U.N. sanctions haven't done a damned thing. Nothing the spineless U.N. does is working. Saddam Hussein is too freakin' hard headed and would rather see his people starve to death than to comply with agreements that he's signed several times. Not that we should be surprised after he used chemical and biological weapons on those same people.

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

So Haywire, what is the source of the photo?

14. Domh

Domh Full Member

zoinks - as the first person in this thread to ask 'hunh?' im going to try to beat ken to what i know hes going to say any minute...

"so haywire you argue that because sanctions dont work and force children to labor we should bomb the country - risk killing those children? why not remove the sanctions!?"

um - no. sanctions just make a tyrant with no interest in the welfare of his people pissed off. thats about it. no santions just allow a tyrant with no interest in his people to get even richer. when there were no sanctions, there were still little children laboring in iraq.

the only way to effect the 'afghani-effect' in iraq is to put boots on the ground and kick the taliban-o-saddam OUT.

what boggles me is that its no longer illegal for us to go kill the guy. why havent we sent the seals over to shoot this dickwad and his pals in their respective beans?

anyhoo - my point, sanctions or no sanctions, kiddies will always be screwed in iraq. we ignore it and it gets worse. something needs to be done over yonder, methinks.

15. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

And something will be done over yonder. Soon. :_

16. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

It was one of MSNBC's pics of the week.

17. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

That looks so fake. Don't you just love propaganda. Maybe the next photo will be a baby working on the Nuke Centrifuge at one of the palices. Must have been a slow news day.

18. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Allright but a few words of explanation are needed as evidence of its authenticity. Without that I have to assume a lot, as some others have done here. Namely that it is a photo of a boy in Iraq forced to work to help buy food, because the sanctions are forcing the economy of that country back to a level that forces these things to happen. I don't buy it. Its propaganda or bullshit, whatever you want to call it. Are MSNBC, if they are publishing that photo with that message, expecting peope to believe a child of that age would be physically capable of swinging a hammer of that weight for more than a minute or two? The photo in itself says nothing re the undesired effects of sanctions.
    I know there are some dreadful things resulting from sanctions but this is not evidence of them.

19. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Makes me wonder if MSNBC is so fixated upon its own political agenda that it fails to corroborate photos, and perhaps stories, in a rush to print?

20. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Regardless of the validity of the pic in question can we not agree that atrocities against children do in fact exist in great numbers?

Even if the pic was *staged* it does not change the fact that millions of children are exploited on a daily basis.

The sanctions imposed against Iraq have clearly failed to achieve their intended goals and have caused undue human suffering against innocent children.