1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iraq approves UN resolution??? huh?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I am confused - last night, they rejected the resolution. This morning, I flip on the tv and see that the late breaking news of the morning is that Iraq has accepted the resolution.

<b>Huh?????</b>

It <i>was</i> last night that they rejected it, yes? Did I miss something?

I keep listening to the news (got bored tho, teehee) to see if they explained what made Iraq change their minds, but nothing - I did see lots of experts talking out of their asses, tho, saying that December 8th marks the 30th day, when Iraq has to make an official statement and declare all their weapons, and that Iraq will most likely lie about it, in which case that gives us grounds, as per the resolution, to go in with force.

So I'm confused - could someone please explain this to me? I think I missed a large part of the story, cuz I'm confused.

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Iraq's Parliment (or PR Firm) rejected the U.N. Resolution.

Saddam (the only real power in Iraq) is now accepting them, suppossedly.

I only wonder how many days it will take for the inspectors to be denied access to somewhere? Bets anyone? I've got the over/under set at 14 days. Any takers?

3. Domh

Domh Full Member

Dec 6th 2002 is when the shit hits the fan.

You heard it here first.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

I am still holding out for late January, for a ground campaign.

5. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

It's all posturing

I thought it was transparently funny, actually, although this is only my opinion:

Iraq's "Parliament" is a rubber-stamp body; they know full well what Hussein wants them to do. First, Hussein's son urges their parliament to accept the UN resolution. This gives a public impression of willingness to cooperate. The parliament, however, chooses to refuse the counsel of Saddam Hussein's son. Yeah, right! By giving the UN the proverbial "middle finger", they are able to claim the "will of the people" and show defiance, thus making them look strong.

Hussein, of course, had every intention of accepting the resolution, if only to forestall the inevitable. Besides, it makes him look like "team player" and those countries with little or no suppor for the US will use his acceptance as further proof of American Imperial agression.

Wheels within wheels....

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

January/February would be auspicious timing! :)

SM

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member