1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone6 and iPhone6 Plus

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by SixofNine, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yeah, LOL!

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

So if 8.02 was out in September, why is my new iPhone 6 now urging me to upgrade to iOS 8.1? They've been doing that for about a week, but I've been ignoring it until I got around to asking about it here.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

8.1 is the latest and a good update. It came out after 8.0.2.

You should update to it.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks tke, I realize now that I was thinking my had said 8.2 before. Okay, I'm going to do that.

5. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Mmm.. love my new iphone 6, the bigger screen is really easy on my 50+ year old eyes. I would have sprung for the 6+ but the darn thing is just too big to easily carry around. All is not lost though as the wife got the 6+, so I can just borrow hers :)

ethics likes this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Same here. I don't need a stylus anymore.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

You have a wife??? :)

Seriously, I'll wait a few months for the bugs to go away and my contract to expire and then I'll go visit the Apple store and play with the sixes, and then wander over to the Verizon store if one sticks to my hand.

Am I correct that retinal 5 is sellable? I mean other than eBay? eBay is getting too insane to wanna sell stuff there anymore. They're shooting for a 90 day free return no questions asked policy. My buddy is some kind of prime seller or something and they're hitting him with that now, I'm just a sometimes professional seller but I see that coming to me soon too.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

No, I have a husband and a 6, not a 6+.

9. dsl987

dsl987 Member

The Iphone 5 is selling for $200-$300 on Craigslist in my area. If you sell it to a dealer/reseller expect around $150

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

I traded into Verizon and got $200 back.

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

Thank you both! That is very good news for me. I have taken extremely careful care of my iPhone 5 and it is in excellent condition. Perfect condition! I'm sure it will get the maximum trade-in price.

I had learned early on that the first thing you do when you get a smart phone is to get a protective case for it -- fortunately not from personal experience but by observation of others' misfortunes. I doubt it's possible to own a smart phone and use it frequently and not drop it on rare occasions no matter how hard you try to be careful. I had mine within a nice Incipio case within mere days after I bought it and there it has stayed. I've had it fall out of my pocket as I grasped my car keys at least once and land on the pavement, but no harm done except an abrasion on the protective case.

A few months ago I saw a poor 20-ish looking woman drop her new iPhone (probably one of the last 5 models) at the supermarket and as she picked it up the screen was hanging out and cracked -- and oddly, still working. I think she was still in shock when I told her that after she gets it fixed to get a protective case. It was so sad to see this poor woman with a shiny, new but broken iPhone.

I've worked on mostly iPads but also a few iPhones, fixing them, selling them on eBay. She's probably out $200 for that one mistake. My Incipio case cost about $20. It makes the phone fatter, but better fat than broken. Smart phones are getting so thin that even in a case they are still thin. I hope everybody on the forum either has a case or will accept my advice.

I think I have about a month to go on my contract at Verizon. If they are still offering trade in deals in a couple months that $200 should pay for most of my upgrade cost. I think mine is a 32GB and I'd like to get at least 64GB if they don't offer 128GB.

That may seem excessive but I write my own custom websites, I've already integrated an experimental website into what looks almost like an app on my iPhone and iPad . You iPhone/iPad experts know about that up-arrow in Safari that bookmark -> Add to Home Screen. It works especially well with websites designed for mobile use, a skill I've been working on the last year, mobile website design. Some of the most interesting apps have a very active website behind them. And somebody making money behind the app and website.

It's only a matter of time before I make my run on writing and selling an iPhone/iPad app.