1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone6 and iPhone6 Plus

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by SixofNine, Sep 9, 2014.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I've been itching to upgrade my iPhone 4, so I was happy for the new product announcements to arrive.

These prices are lower than what AT&T wanted to charge me to upgrade my iPhone4 to a 5s.

The iPhone 6 starts at $199 for a 32GB model. A 64GB model is $299 and a 128GB model is $399.

The iPhone 6 Plus starts at $299 for a 32GB version, is $399 for 64GB and $499 for 128GB.

I'm not sure if I'll go for the larger size. I assume I'll be able to get a 5s at a much better discounted price.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Those prices are with a 2 yr contract.

3. SixofNine

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Looks like Apple stayed with the now normal pricing for the iPhone 6 by memory size, but the memory size increases.

The iPhone 6 Plus is $100 more per memory size.

Personally, I'm happy with the size of my iPhone 5 so I'm on the fence about ordering a larger phone.

Oh...who am I kidding....I'm sure I'll be first in line to pre-order the iPhone 6. Lol

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

My 2-year contract will need to be renewed in October. It's the first time I'm renewing. I guess they'll remind me to do it soon.

6. SixofNine

If I can live with the size I might have to do it to get the other new features.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

Allene, most cellphone carriers go mont-to-month when your contract expires. AFAIK you don't have to do anything when it ends except gain the abilities to (1) cancel your service any time you like with no penalty, and (2) upgrade your cellphone at a subsidized price if you sign up for another two years.

My contract is up in December, and I'm satisfied with my cellphone provider so the contractual committment means nothing to me. I can't think of any reason why not to upgrade because I love my iPhone 5. The only question is 6 or 6 Plus. I'll have to handle them before I decide.

Also, I suspect I can get some money back on my iPhone 5 on eBay, a sort of subsidy for my new phone.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks. I'm going to do whatever I need to do to keep my special text-only arrangement. I'm thinking of upgrading to 6 Plus.

9. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Without 2 Year Contract:

6/16GB: $649
    6+/16GB: $749

6/64GB: $749
    6+/64GB: $849

6/128GB: $849
    6+/128GB: $949

Add tax and Apple has a $1000.00 phone there.

10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

11. SixofNine

Trying to remember if I have ever purchased a phone without a contract..... nope.

I have been looking at flagship rivals and their impressive specs, but if off-contract price is a showstopper for some people:

Samsung Galaxy S5: $650
    HTC One M8: $670

12. Biker

ZTE Open (Firefox phone) unlocked - $75 :p

13. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I hadn't bought an out of contract phone prior to my current phone (Nokia 635 WindowsPhone $99) since 2005 when I broke an old candy bar phone. But with the recent rise of no contract carriers this is quickly becoming more mainstream than it has been in years. So it is more relevant this generation than it has ever been before.

14. Biker

15. tke711

LOL...because the ZTE Open is almost comparable to the top flight handsets. ;)

ethics likes this.
  16. tke711

When did profit = bad? Or is it just bad when the dreaded Apple company makes money?

I know Biker...you hate Apple...and to each their own. :)

17. Biker

I don't hate Apple. I don't begrudge a company from making money. What I do object to is the voodoo marketing that convinces people that the device is worth 3 times more than what it's actually worth.

18. tke711

I think that's a matter of opinion. Voodoo marketing doesn't make me use the iPhone. Ease of use and integration is what makes me use Apple products.

For me, at any price point, no one else hits that mark. It's not even close.

19. Arc

Arc Full Member

Yes, and in some places like California tack on the amount of dollars representing the sales tax of the retail price of the device.

20. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Those unlocked phone prices are skewed as there's no 16gb phone but those prices are for 32GB... Actually cheaper than the 16gb iPhone 5S last year.