1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone scam?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Allene, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have received an email from "Apple_Inc":

"it seems that your Apple gps detected a new location of your device,
    our automatic systems thinks that your device is stolen or used illegally,
    due to that our system has suspended your account until you confirm that you are the real owner of this device or account.
    in order to proceed to verification process, please follow the link below"

They sent it over three hours ago. My iPhone is working fine. The reason I'm asking about this is because I traded in my old phone last month, using Verizon's program, but wouldn't it be Verizon that would contact me in that case?
  2. Andy

Use the"Find my iPhone" to see if you have more than one device still.

It should have been wiped when you turned it in which requires you to turn off that feature.
  3. Andy

But 99% sure it's a scam/phising attempt.
    ethics likes this.
  4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Andy. I believe I wiped it at the time because Verizon gives me a list of things to do before sending the phone to them, like taking out the SIM card, etc. I can't get into Find iPhone right now because it provides my email address, but claims my password is incorrect. Then after I enter a new one, it tells me I've timed out. I can't remember where to go to change the time-out period to something longer. Since my account is still open many hours later, I'm with you on the 99% scam/phising attempt.
  5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Big time scam. There was an article about that a day or so ago. Lemme see if I can find it.
  6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Tom. Mine went to my email account. I thought their email address was funny too. My iPhone account was supposed to have been "suspended" three hours earlier, but it was working just fine and still is. This would probably work for the type of person who acts first and thinks later. My problem is that I think about it and worry about it for the rest of the day! I didn't give them any information, so I'm done with it. :)
  8. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Interesting stuff Tom