1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iphone Disappointments

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Ok now THIS would count as an issue in my book. Apparently the iPhone can be quite insistent with it's requests to the point of crashing access points. The article talks specifically about Duke, but discussion on the site I read about this on indicates others have seen this as well. Reading the article it seems to have to do with moving between access points. Although no one is sure yet and Apple has yet to provide any information.
  2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

This is looking like a very limited problem, but it's early to be sure. Here's what the network guy at Duke says:

I haven't seen any reliable reports of this problem existing anywhere else but Duke, so far.
  3. joseftu

Step off, haters! :)
    The iPhone has been exonerated.
    (emphasis added!)
  4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Looks like the iPhone has a new problem. The NY Times is reporting that a flaw allows hackers to completely take over the phone. They can get contact data, text messages, and even make phone calls.

[bl] Dr. Miller, a former employee of the National Security Agency who has a doctorate in computer science, demonstrated the hack to a reporter by using his iPhone’s Web browser to visit a Web site of his own design.

Once he was there, the site injected a bit of code into the iPhone that then took over the phone. The phone promptly followed instructions to transmit a set of files to the attacking computer that included recent text messages — including one that had been sent to the reporter’s cellphone moments before — as well as telephone contacts and e-mail addresses.

“We can get any file we want,” he said. Potentially, he added, the attack could be used to program the phone to make calls, running up large bills or even turning it into a portable bugging device.

Steven M. Bellovin, a professor of computer science at Columbia University, said, “This looks like a very genuine hack.” Mr. Bellovin, who was for many years a computer security expert at AT&T Labs Research, said the vulnerability of the iPhone was an inevitable result of the long-anticipated convergence of computing and telephony. [/bl]
  5. joseftu

I know, I'm sounding more and more like a fanboy--but there's a significant amount of flogging non-stories for the sake of big headlines these days. (The Duke story is a perfect example).

From that same article:
    But then, if I'm a fanboy, here's the guy (Aviel D. Rubin, the firm’s founder and the technical director of the Information Security Institute at Johns Hopkins University) who prompted the whole experiment to find this hack. Does it mean he'll stop using his iPhone?
  6. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Each of your defenses above could have been copied exactly from the MS playbook in regards to their OS vs. Apple's over the years. :)
  7. joseftu

I know, I know! Does this mean I've been assimilated?

In fact, I run Windows XP, Ubuntu, and Mac OS X. In some cases on the same machine! (this laptop has all three installed--using Parallels, so I don't even reboot in order to switch).

All have their advantages, all have their disadvantages. Soon I'll get Vista, too! :)
  8. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

No, we'll all just call you Steve Balmer from now on. ;)
  9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Actually, it's now being reported that this flaw may exists in ALL version of Safari (OS X, Windows and iPhone), so it's not just a criticism of the iPhone.