1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iphone Disappointments

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jul 1, 2007.

1. ravital

ravital Banned

Thanks for the explanation above, Gregg, I understand and take back what I said about the privacy question.

The bigger issue is still the fact that they charge that much and can't transfer your data for you, plus all the other disappointments. But I don't want to rehash this. Thanks again.

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

Just for what it's worth, as an electronic design engineer I often have to cost out product manufacturing costs including profit margin (for the bean counters) and the formula I use is to take the raw parts cost and multiply it by 3X or 4X to come up with a manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP). So the cost of the parts X3 or X4 is in the ballpark of the MSRP (retail price).

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

The point was, are they making enough profit to have included a battery door.

Went right over your heads. ;)

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

The battery door would increase the SIZE!!! You know that one of the phone's attractive features is it's small size. The added battery door, battery holder and battery contacts would increase the size more than you might think. And when did any person or corporation make "enough profit?" There is never enough profit, and I'm sure Apple is wringing out every last bit of profit that they can.

IMO the size issue is more important than the profit issue. You can't get "small" unless you get rid of all unessential components and miniaturize the remainder as much as possible. Also, sales and user acceptance of the iPods show that the unreplaceable battery is not a big issue.

5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Apple's profit margin has nothing to do with the exclusion of a battery door. Apple's design philosophy has always been to minimize and abstract the interaction between the device and the user. Think back the the first Macintosh; one button on the mouse, black and white on the screen, a sealed case with no expansion. Now, Apple discoverd this was a poor choice and eventually copied the hardware design of its rivals almost completely, but they still think the user should be happy with what they design and "tough tittie" if they don't like it.

6. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

IT WAS A JOKE GUYS.

Talk about things going over people's headssssssssssssssss.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

I always thought jokes were supposed to be funny. :)

8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

And it was probably a really big mistake for Verizon.

10. tke711

Well, it looks like all panic on the battery issue may not really be as big of a deal as reported.

Unlike what was being reported, users won't have to replace their battery after 400 charges. All that will really happen is that the battery will last 80% as long as it did when first purchased.

Source

11. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Yep. That's what I said early on! :)

And as it turns out, the battery life is really good--much, much better than with the Treo (although I will say that leaving bluetooth on runs it down significantly faster).

12. tke711

In my experience, that's a problem with all phones.

13. ravital

ravital Banned

That never was the point.

I'm sure most users will probably replace their iPhones with something else long before they'll reach the 400th recharge of their battery.

The point is - ALL mobile phones allow you to replace their batteries, you can't log on to the web without being hit by some ad for cell-phone replacement batteries, so why does Apple have to be different, in an area where obviously, even if it's just perception, it's negative perception? Why? What would have been the cost of a simple trap-door on the back of the device to allow the user to change batteries?

Something else - Some people, and some businesses, have battery recharging devices because when the battery IN the phone is being recharged - the phone is not mobile, obviously. Many like to be able to take a battery out of the phone, slap it into the charger, take a charged battery and slap it into the phone, and off they go in less than a minute. But Apple has decided for you, that this is not how you're going to use your phone.

P.S. I'm very happy for all iPhone users' good fortune. May they use their newly purchased devices in good health and draw the greatest satisfaction from them. Personally, I don't like to give my business to companies that treat their customers that way.

14. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Not to mention spare batteries are handy for things like camping and hiking where recharging is not an option but cell service is available as a safety measure.

Although anyone doing outdoor activities like those with a phone as fragile as the iPhone is an idiot anyway. It really is a job for a ruggedized phone not a day planner that also makes calls.

15. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

For camping, etc. (not that I do that!), just use a minty boost.

16. Greg

Greg Full Member

That's how batteries fail, dude. The longevity of a single charge gets less and less until finally you replace the battery or toss the unit.

It's rather unsophisticated to think that it would be good up to charge 399 and flat out fail at charge 400...

17. tke711

You are the master at stating the obvious aren't you LH? ;)

The point was that most haters were saying that the battery would HAVE to be replaced at 400 charges. That's simply not true and Apple is now putting that information right on their website.

I was just updating this thread with the latest from Apple in regards to one of the big criticisms.

18. Greg

Greg Full Member

It's simply not true that the battery would HAVE to be replaced at 400 charges. That's simply not true and Apple is now putting that information RIGHT on their website.

If you have any further confusion please PM me and I'll furnish a dumb person summary for you. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) <-- indicates humorous sarcasm ;) :)

19. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

I don't mean to go OT, but I'd like to interject a personal note regarding all this 'battery' crap!

I think it's WAY beyond time when the manufacturers of all these gawddam personal electronic devices got together and agreed upon some sort of IEEE standard about BATTERIES!
    I've REALLY gotten to the point that if it doesn't take D,C,AA,AAA, or a some sort of STANDARD watch cell or lithium, then I'm not interested!

Shit, have you ever tried to replace the battery for your calculator?
    There's a :friggin: hundred square-foot peg-board WALL of batteries, and a four page cross-reference <i>guide</i> for you to plow through to find today's replacement version# for your simple $5 battery purchase! :banghead:

Ipod, Iphone, Motorola, LG, Samsung, WHATEVER; enough is enough folks, adopt some darned standard, will ya?

I do apologize for the rant.

Iphone = good. :)

Regards,

20. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Have you seen the advances in batteries in the past few years? That would slow to a crawl if manufacturers had to go through a standardization process right now. During this time of rapid advancement I do not hold this against them. However if we slip into a period of battery stagnation like we had for several decades I then would like to see standardization. I have a feeling that if a new standard was started right now batteries would be 1/4 the size and 25 times as powerful by the time the standard was approved.

I just don't think now is the time for such a thing. I loved how simple the days of AAA,AA,C,D & 9V were and I look forward to the re-emergence of that simplicity. For now I say let the scientists work,

</IMG></IMG></IMG>