1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone Announced...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jan 9, 2007.

1. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Rumor is that both Nintendo and EA games are working on deals with Apple to sell games for the iPhone--my bet would be that you buy them at iTunes, like anything else.

And then I found this, too--with some actual descriptions and screenshots.
  2. Domh

Domh Full Member

No chess... no iPhone.

I wait.

3. ravital

ravital Banned

I think it was mentioned at the beginning of this thread that they would not include any java support. Does this have anything to do with the fact that no 3rd party apps are supported? I would presume it does.
  4. joseftu

Maybe not exactly what you want, but there is this, apparently!
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

From engadget:
    In perhaps a move to stave off some rumblings of disappointment that typing on Apple's soon-to-be ubiquitous new device may be a little less "intuitive" than they had hoped, the company has added a new video into its iPhone movie catalogue detailing the "correct" operation of the phone's virtual keyboard. Interestingly, the video outlines the use of a heretofore unseen feature -- the magnifying glass -- which allows you to reposition your cursor while typing. Check the link for a whole bunch of one-finger typing.
    Video here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/keyboard_large.html

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

iPhone is BACK on the docket!

(hopefully the damn app has some smarts. I am starting to cream IntelliChess at its highest level on pretty regular basis)

7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

8. Domh

Domh Full Member

Battery will need to be replaced by Apple after 300-400 charges

Thats wretched. That means a once yearly battery exchange at the factory. Blech.
  9. ethics

Yah, mentioned the same thing. Battery suckage.
  10. tke711

Most reviewers have said that it needs to be charged every other day. So, 400 charges would last about 2 years, or the life of most people's cell phones.

While crappy that Apple is once again making the battery a service item, I think this is pretty far down the list of importance for it's short-comings.
  11. Domh

Domh Full Member

These reports are freaking me out. 3.5" uber gloss screen... music playback, btooth, wifi...

Did Apple invent a COMPLETELY new type of battery and patent it?

I have the FAT uber battery in my smartphone, and if I turn on wifi, btooth and listen to tunes I get 6 hours of battery max.

12. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I'll wait until HTC upgrades one of their WM6 Pro phones with a faster processor (current ones use a 200mhz chip) later this year or next. If yo really want a smart phone, it's best to get one that actually lets you edit docs and run 3rd party apps. No offense to those in love with this phone (I think it's great Apple is pushing the other manufacturers to innovate) but as I said before, there's very little in the phone new except the Apple logo.
  13. joseftu

Yeah--400 charges is at least two years, not one, and it only starts to lose charging ability at that point. Like every other battery in the world. It's not like it just dies completely after 300 charges.

And from what I'm reading, the battery life (one of the major early concerns) is actually good--even very good.

As for not making the battery replaceable by consumers, well, that sucks indeed.

But. The same was supposedly true for iPods (supposedly still is), and I, myself, personally, have replaced two batteries on two older iPods, without sending them in to Apple. Just because Apple says it can't be done, it doesn't mean that it really can't be done (in two years, with a big user community, more is possible than you would think! :))
  14. ethics

I tend to agree here. I also prefer a keyboard with "feedback" click feeling, if you know what I mean. It's why Blackberries are Crackberries.

HTC, so far, is the phone to get for me, but it's not for everyone.
  15. ravital

ravital Banned

Yes, I've seen the sites that sell the batteries and the (fairly simple) tools to do that on iPods, but you know you void any and all warranties when you do that.
  16. joseftu

New FAQ from Apple--not much we didn't already know, but one tidbit is that it will support VPN.

And whether you use PC or Mac, you can transfer all your contacts--Address Book on the Mac, Outlook on the PC.
  17. tke711

Unless of course the site you are VPN'ing to uses Flash or Java.

Sorry...couldn't resist. :lol:
  18. Andy

Decent and funny hands on review from a guy at the Times..

Watch how we weeds out everyone at the end down to the lone fanboi. :rofl:

"It's AT&T ONLT!!1!1!1!!!"

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VcRfAaIb2Ro" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>
  19. joseftu

That was hilarious! :)
  20. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member