1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone Announced...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

You know how many high schoolers have multiple high end phones, don't you? How they get them, I have no idea, but they do.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Because Mommy and Daddy buy 'em for the little shit, and then get all bent out of shape when the little cretin destroys the phone and we won't replace it.
  3. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

It's being said that the demand is way more then the stock they have. Since you don't have to activate them in store, who wants to make a bet ebay will have them for 2000 a pop real soon?
  4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I've read that even the most optimistic are saying that Apple will sell 200,000 units over this first weekend. I would be surprised if they actually have less then that on hand.
  5. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

CNBC was saying today they have 1 million ready.
  6. tke711

It only took me 3 refreshes to get through to order it online. I didn't order one, but I could easily get there to order one.

The Cingular/at&t store around the corner had about 12 people lined up prior to 6:00, but when I drove by it again a few minutes ago the employees were all hanging out in front of the store looking bored.

At my store at least, it would seem that demand hasn't been crazy.
  7. tke711

Oh...and it was VERY hard to avoid pulling the trigger when I got to the website. Luckily, I could feel the wife shaking her head from across the room. I do like sleeping in my own bed at night. :lol:

However, once the shock of the Disney expenses wear off....I'm all on board. :)
  8. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

But it says
    "shipping in 2-4 weeks" on the online order page!
    (My wife is jonesing for one of these just as much as I am!)
  9. Plunge

Plunge Passed Away July 20, 2007

AT&T store at the local mall had about 300+ in line to purchase.
  10. tke711

11. tke711

Well, we can all officially laugh at everyone who waiting in line for days or hours. It's being widely reported this morning that iPhone's are still available in every market. :)

Plus, it appears that at&t a bit of hiccup last night with the activation process, disabling people's current phones, but not completely activating the iPhone.
  12. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

13. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

I refuse to spend $500 on a phone no matter how cool it is:thumdown: .

The most I have ever had to pay for a phone is $40 before rebate. My current digital leash is a Sony Ericson W300I.

I plan on getting either a blackberry or blackjack when I can renew my contract with AT&T later this year.
  14. tke711

Considering it's a phone, Palm, and iPod all in one, I'm not that put off by the price. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of money, but considering what you get I think it's actually fair.
  15. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I agree with tke. Personally the only thing that puts me off, is I'm not paying $50 or $80 a month for a data plan. Maybe I will spring for iPhone 2.0 when I graduate and am going to law school.
  16. tke711

The data plan part is only $20 a month for the iPhone. The rest of the bill is the normal calling plan.
  17. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

The data cost is no different from any other smart phone, but my only problem is that you really can't call this a smart phone because so much is disabled on it.
  18. tke711

True, it probably doesn't do everything that some Smart Phones do, but it also does more. However, I think it's got enough of the Smart Phone features that people actually use to be sufficient for most. Since it's supposed to be able to receive exchange mail and open PDF docs, that's really all I would need for work. The rest would just be fun and give me the ability to go from 3 devices to 1.

The big one for me still though is the lack of voice dialing. It's probably the biggest reason I haven't gone down the block to my local at&t store today. Without voice dialing, I can see the iPhone being a pain in the ass to use as a phone while driving. Something I do all the time.