1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone Announced...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jan 9, 2007.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Holy crap is that thing cool!!!!!!!

Looks like I'll be dropping a lot on a phone this summer as well. :)

3. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

You know, I think I can hold off on getting a new phone a few more months after all..

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Wow. Just...wow. Someone finally got it right. I've never been a huge Apple fan but...wow. They've really nailed it this time. This iPhone is going to seriously cut into market share on all the other phone manufacturers. I personally know at least 3 people who've been holding off on more than just a basic cell phone and haven't bought a digital media player at all because they've been waiting for an all-in-one device.

Welp, here it is!

That price is going to have drop, though.......

5. ethics

I believe so too.

6. tke711

It will most definitely hurt the new Treo and Blackberry lines, simply because of it's size.

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Size, schmize....it's all about the interface (though the size is nice, I'll admit). Eliminating dedicated single-purpose keypads and replacing them with an interactive touch screen that changes according to the functions being used - that's the real genius. They've completely overcome the inherent shortcomings of using keypads.

8. tke711

Agree completely, and they kept the thing small. :)

For me, and many others, I don't want to carry around something the size of even the Treo every single day. I want something that can fit in my pocket and it looks like the new iPhone can do just that.

9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Suhweet!! I was just getting ready to get a new phone too. Looks like I'll be waiting. I hope they work with Cingular.

10. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Cingular uses GSM and the iPhone does too....you're in luck :)

11. tke711

It's exclusive to Cingular for the first 2 years, so you are definitely in luck!!!

I wonder just how much Cingular had to pay for that exclusivity?

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I am sure it wsn't cheap, but good news!!!

13. tke711

Yep, I'm a Cingular user as well. :)

14. ethics

I hope they get more carriers to support this.

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

LOL. Apple's stock went up $7!

16. ethics

I am surprised it was JUST $7.

17. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

The elimination on the keypad sounds like a good idea in theory but how well will it work in practice? If you dial by touch you are screwed. This phone begs for voice dialing and voice recognition for data entry. Virtual keypads are very hard for some people to use (big fingers, long fingernails, no fingernails (Depends on technology used which is the problem) viewing angle, calibration issues, shmootz on the screen etc...) The other functions of this are what the video iPod SHOULD be.

IBM came out with a phone like this (PDA/CELL PHONE W/Touchscreen and no keypad) and it sold miserably with it's $300 price tag around Y2K.

A coworker bought an iPaq cellphone (once again touchscreen) wich being Windows CE based had all these features and had an SD slot for more memory. She stopped using it within two months due to size (Not terribly bigger than the iPhone) and the fact that her makeup/sweat and anything else on her face transferred to the display whenever she used it. This is a major drawback to this type of device.

This device will sell like hotcakes to all the iPod addicted out there and those who think it looks cool. There will be an intial surge in orders. People will be mugged and/or shot for them. Shortages will be all over the news. The real question will be how many are still in service once all the hype dies down? Who knows, they might do as well as the knee jerk reactions indicate. they might bomb. my money is on that they probably will become like many devices that are priced outside of their core market and sell a respectable but not really spectacular volume after the hype dies, say 6-12 months.

I give Apple their props, this is a cool device. Unfortunately I can see too many reasons that it will be yet another flash in the pan of consumer electronics.

18. ethics

I thought it had that...

Btw, there's more here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/

19. Brazbit

It may have. The first link just had pictures that I saw. Ohhh.... pictures.....

20. Brazbit

"The 4GB iPhone will go out the door in the US as a Cingular exclusive for $499 on a two-year contract, 8GB for $599. "

Even with the 2 year contract subsidy this phone costs $499/$599?!?!?!

What does that make this a $800-$900 phone without contract? Yikes!!!