1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone 4 Thread

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jun 7, 2010.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

An interesting response from Steve:

LOL...he's basically ripping on places like San Fran that have far too many regulations in place to let wireless providers improve their network.
  2. tke711

OH NOOOOOOOOS.....Leon...don't touch or hold your phone in certain places either man. HTC, that evil and lame excuse of a company on American's worst possible network, even warns you. ;)

View attachment htc_evo_ug.pdf

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

They are selling in NYC!!!!! Including my wife and daughter!!!! Explain that! >}
  4. tke711

Good taste? ;)
  5. ethics

LOL... Well, when you figure it out, let me know. Because I am baffled.

Btw, three of my best friends who were all iPhone have all signed up for Droid X and VZ. I think there's a trend. Perhaps exclusive to NYC but still.
  6. ethics

What slowness? Looks fine to me:
  7. tke711

With 3 million units in just 3 weeks, I'd say that iPhone is the trend. :)

All kidding aside, now that there are lots of options for smartphones I'm sure we'll now see network playing a much more important roll.
  8. ethics

It's all about data now. ALL data. Voice phone calls are going to be unlimited soon. Nationally, of course. Can't wait for international free calling. :)
  9. tke711

Just saw this post over at PhoneSchoop and was pretty surprised: http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=6308

Basically, Nokia of all people, is backing Apple about antenna interference in phones.

[bl]However, Nokia concedes that, "In general, antenna performance of a mobile device/phone may be affected with a tight grip, depending on how the device is held." This statement coincides with points made by Apple CEO Steve Jobs about the iPhone 4's antenna performance issue. Jobs noted that antenna design is tricky, and all smartphones are subject to signal attenuation when held in certain ways. Nokia agrees with that assessment. [/bl]
  10. Arc

Arc Full Member

Sprint's national network sucks. However, in NYC, (I don't recall if it's just Manhattan or all but I think the latter), they are better than all networks except Verizon's and they are a strong second. AT&T sucks there though.
  11. ethics

Meanwhile RIM says this:

"Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation. RIM is a global leader in antenna design and has been successfully designing industry-leading wireless data products with efficient and effective radio performance for over 20 years. During that time, RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage. One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity. Apple clearly made certain design decisions and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple."

- Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie

12. tke711

Oh please. BB's have always been notorious for poor phone quality. Great at data and email, but terrible for phone calls up until the last few years.

Listening to RIM on phone call quality is like listening to Lindsey Lohan on sobriety.
  13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Bear in mind, most don't purchase a Blackberry because of the phone features. It's always been marketed as a data device, and one that is very good at what it does. 
  14. tke711

No doubt, and I said they are good at data in my post.
  15. ethics

True. Mine for work doesn't even have phone capabilities.
  16. ethics

It's not even funny. ;)
  17. tke711

I've been called worse, by better. ;)
  18. ethics

You are though, you do agree? :)
  19. tke711

Sure, if it makes you feel better fandroid boy. ;)
  20. ethics

LOL! I am not though. I am all about tech.

Here's a good point here: http://gizmodo.com/5585072/you-are-not-your-phone