1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone 4 Thread

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jun 7, 2010.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I agree, but I think in this case that has much more to do with the network in your area than it does with the iPhone.

I said it before, but I can report even better reception and call quality with the iphone4 than the 3G.....in my area.

2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Well, yes. But really for most people (or at least many. Or at least me) it is not a phone. The phone is a trivial bonus feature. I use my iPhone to make or receive calls maybe five or ten minutes in a day, on average. At most. I think that is increasingly true for a lot of people. Text messages, emails, the web, the apps, reading, listening to music--that is what people use these for. These devices may be called phones, and it is nice that they can also make calls, but that is really not their primary function.

3. tke711

Engadget has a good write up on the whole thing:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/yes-the-iphone-4-is-broken-no-the-iphone-4-is-not-broken/

[bl]
    The controversy over the iPhone 4's antenna issues continues to grow, particularly after Consumer Reports confirmed yesterday that every iPhone 4 suffers from signal attenuation when the phone is held with the lower left corner covered -- a report that we confirmed with results from our own custom signal metering app. At this point, there's no longer any question in our minds that the iPhone 4's antenna can be made to lose signal by holding it "wrong" -- and we definitely think it's more than a little silly that simply holding the phone in your left hand has been nicknamed the "death grip."

That said, however, it's not at all clear what the real-world effects of the antenna issue actually are for most people -- as we've repeatedly said, several iPhone 4s owned by the Engadget staff (including our review unit) have never experienced so much as a single dropped call, while others suffer from signal issues that results in lost calls and unresponsive data in a dramatic way. What's more, at this point Apple's sold well over two million iPhone 4s, and we simply haven't heard the sort of outcry from users that we'd normally hear if a product this high-profile and this popular had a showstopping defect. Honestly, it's puzzling -- we know that the phone has an antenna-related problem, but we're simply not able to say what that issue actually means for everyday users.

So we're doing what we can do: we've collected reports from every member of the Engadget staff who's using the phone, as well as reached out to a variety of tech industry colleagues for their experiences. As you'll see, it seems like most of our peers seem to be doing perfectly fine with their iPhone 4s, but the people who are having problems are having maddening issues in an inconsistent way. We'd say it all comes down to the network -- particularly in New York City, where AT&T just completed a major upgrade -- but even that isn't a consistent factor in predicting experience. Ultimately, we just won't know what's really going on until Apple comes clean and addresses this issue (and the growing PR nightmare it's become), but for now we can say with some certainty that not everyone is affected, and those that are seem to be in the minority. Read on for the full report. [/bl]

Read the rest at the link above.

4. tke711

Looks like Apple is having a press conference on Friday:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/apple-to-hold-press-conference-on-iphone-4-this-friday/

5. tke711

Looks like iOS 4.0.1 is live right now...off to update.

Edit: Looks like the only thing in this update is the signal bars issue:

[bl]iOS 4.0.1 Software Update for iPhone

This update contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following:

• Improves the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display

Products compatible with this software update:
    • iPhone 3G
    • iPhone 3GS
    • iPhone 4

For feature descriptions and complete instructions, see the user guides for iPhone at:
    <http://support.apple.com/manuals/iphone>

For more information about iPhone, go to:
    <http://www.apple.com/iphone>

To troubleshoot your iPhone, or to view additional support information go to:
    <http://www.apple.com/support/iphone>

This update contains security content originally included in previous iOS Updates. For more information, please visit this website:
    <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222>

[/bl]

6. tke711

Well...the signal bars look different...and display one less bar here in my office. Not much of an update. Should have just waited until 4.1 comes out in a few weeks to do both at once.

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I wonder if 4.1 is going to fix the incredible slowness the 4.xx versions have bestowed upon my 3G. Ugh! It's killing me.

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

As you know tomorrow Apple’s holding a press conference about the controversy surrounding its new iPhone. I wonder what Super Steve will say?

SOURCE

During the development of the iPhone 4 a senior engineer at Apple warned that the proposed antenna was a problem looking to happen because of its design.

SOURCE

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

OMG!!! Are you crazy bashing the iPhone here???? [​IMG]

10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Crazy? Perhaps. But I'm not bashing the iPhone. I love the iPhone. I'm bashing Apple's shitty software. :p

11. ethics

12. tke711

I had the same problem with my 3G before I got the new one. I ended up doing a new install and it improved it some, but it's obvious that iOS 4 was written for a faster processor.

13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

And Anandtech contributes another excellent article.

Good graphic showing the new algorithm. What was formerly five bars can now be as few as three.

iPhoneSignal_both.jpg

14. tke711

Thanks, it was a good read.

Besides the explanation of what Apple did, it was interesting to read a comparison between Apple 4.0.1, 4.0 and Android 2.2.
    [​IMG]

15. ethics

Unlike with iPhone, I never look at the bars. The signal is there all the time. :)

16. tke711

Ditto for me...but with my iPhone. ;)

17. tke711

Good news Jimeez. According to this list of what's new in 4.1, "Improved performance on the iPhone 3G" is listed.

18. tke711

Ok...here's the gist of Jobs press conference:

- The "death grip" problem exists on most smart phones (he demonstrated it on an HTC and Samsung)
    - No real increase in dropped calls with iPhone 4 vs iPhone 3GS
    - Issue is completely overblown, but they want to make all users happy. Free bumpers/cases for everyone and a refund to those that already purchased them
    - If that's not enough, full refund, no restocking fee if you want to return your phone

So, I still have my phone that's always worked perfectly well, but now I'll get a free case. :)

19. ethics

Twitter went ape shit when he started saying it also exists on other phones. "Hey Steve,i thought iphone and any apple product was superior?"

Lamo excuse.

Apples worst mistake is still the partner - unless you live by Gregg, who has a huge att cell tower in his back yard.

20. tke711

I don't think it's a lame excuse at all, it's just the truth. A truth that the iPhone is no different when it comes to the "death grip" issue than other smart phones even though the media has made it out that Apple is the first to have this problem.

It's also not like it causes any problems with reception as has been proven by the drop call data. The new iPhone is performing almost identical to the previous generation so this whole thing is a complete non-issue. But, like I've said before, when you make it to the top of the mountain in any industry you get a big old bullseye on ya and you get to take the licks associated with that. We've seen it with Google, Microsoft, IBM, etc., and Apple won't be the last.

Jobs just stated in the Q&A that some Nokia phones ship with a sticker that says, "don't touch here." I've never heard of that one..guess I'll have to so some searching to see it for myself.

Sure, AT&T sucks in NYC, no doubt, but it doesn't suck everywhere except my back yard you lamo. ;) If it sucked so bad everywhere, there is no way Apple would be selling so many phones on it's 4th generation.