1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad to Older TV

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by cmhbob, Jul 19, 2014.

1. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

My wife has an iPad 2. We were gifted an older Mitsubishi projection TV a while back. We want to be able to connect the two, mainly for YouTube-type stuff (showing videos during our home church services), and we're trying to do it on a budget.

We have no HDMI inputs on the TV, but we do have s-video and DVI, and a boatload of RCA jacks.

K-mart has an HDMI to DVI cable. Is that going to give us better quality than using the Apple to AV cable like this one? Or will we really see a difference?

2. eakes

eakes Registered User

An iPad has no HDMI output so the HDMI to DVI cable does nothing for you! The AV cable linked to is for composite video (480i) - would be the equivalent of a 'good' VHS tape picture quality on the TV. An AV cable with Component connections would yield better quality but you would need a Component to DVI adapter if the TV does not have Component inputs.

Link to Component/AV cable http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023509&p_id=9274&seq=1&format=2

At the same site you can get a Component to DVI adapter.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Au contraire! While the original iPad did not have the ability to connect to external HDMI devices, the iPad2 does have that ability with the use of a digital A/V adapter. :)

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

So in general, would I get a better picture using the integrated Apple to Comp Video cable, or Apple HDMI adapter to HDMI-to-DVI cable? I've got both sets of inputs on the TV.

Seems like I'd get better video using the integrated solution, since it's just a single connection between the TV and the iPad. But isn't DVI a better image to begin with?

5. eakes

eakes Registered User

Technically the better quality is HDMI/DVI/Component over Composite. Therefore one would expect better results from the digital AV cable plus an adapter to convert to DVI. However, given the source is YouTube video, one would probably see little difference between the methods. With a quality video source the digital AV cable would yield a better quality picture on the TV (480 for Composite vs 720/1080 for digital).

Personally, I wouldn't spend my money on the Composite AV cable.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

Nobody mentioned Apple TV? $99 each, total smarts to add brains to any TV with an HDMI port, and direct access from your iPad or iPhone. Apple TV can access YouTube directly.

I have two of them, bedroom and family room. Only $99 each, sometimes $95 at Target.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This isn't about HDMI, kid. Keep up.