1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad Thread

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jan 2, 2010.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I got one on Monday, and it has been nothing less than astounding for me. I had to go to the Apple Store on Sunday to reserve one, and it came in Monday. Now the cover/incline is going to take weeks to get here, but I think I can hold out. I've been typing blog posts at work off line, then going to a McDonald's with free Wi-Fi down the street on my lunch hour and posting them. So far, it has worked like a champ. I accidentally picked up some iPhone apps, and they are ass, because they are so small on the big screen.

This reminds me of when the Newton came out in 1993. Something astounding, a total paradigm shift. The difference between then and now is this one really works. There were still some handwriting recognition problems with the Newton on release and it was a battery hog, but it still changed the world. As a matter of fact, I still have my Newton around here somewhere. The power cord is long gone, but it should still be operable.

2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I ordered mine online (first day of release :)), and it came right away as expected. Free shipping, too. (And it's always fun to watch the tracking progress as it leaves Shenzhen, goes to Hong Kong, then Alaska, then Kentucky, then New Jersey, then to Brooklyn! Especially interesting when it crosses the international dateline and the whole timing gets all screwed up).

I haven't got the camera connection kit, but planning to--it was sold out the last time I was in the Apple store. The VGA adapter is essential if you're going to do presentations (Keynote rocks!), but be aware that (at this time) it is not a straight video out--you can not show your regular iPad screen or a browser through the VGA connection. Just Keynote and some other apps.

I have the Apple case. It's a very good design, because the flip over cover and little tab to tuck it in and make a stand is excellent. The angle for typing is very good, and it folds over very flat for when you don't want the stand. I don't like the material it's made of, though, and would prefer something of the same design but in leather or wood. This is some weird artificial material which picks up dust and odd stains very easily and doesn't seem like it would last very long. It also has relatively sharp edges which are not too comfortable to hold. But it's better than I expected and I'm using it. (I did cover up the Apple logo with one of these stickers--I get a lot of good responses about that!). I'm seeing some fairly nice bamboo cases around, but so far none with the same kind of design that includes a portfolio format and an integral stand.

The iPad doesn't come with any kind of screen wiper cloth, and it does pick up smudges. So if you don't wear your shirt untucked, or carry a handkerchief in your pocket, you might want to have some kind of lint-free cloth around. I do carry a handkerchief, and that works fine.

I would not bother with the dock. It seemed like it would be a good idea, but in fact you can not put the iPad in the dock while it's in the case, and taking it in and out of the case is too much of a pain. Never bad to have an extra charger, but honestly the battery life is so good that that's not necessary as it is with the iPhone.

If you are going to do extensive typing, and you touch-type, it's worth having a bluetooth keyboard. I have an Apple one, and when I travel with only the iPad and no computer, I will definitely throw that in the suitcase to have for long blog posts or other kinds of lengthy typing session. (I have heard that not only the Apple one, but many other less expensive ones will work). I've also heard that with the camera connection kit you can use a USB keyboard--at least some of them. That's a nice unsupported feature, if it's really true.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Heh, Bloomberg uses an iPad instead of hard copy notes to give a speech. Not something former Senator Ted "send an internet" Stevens would have tried.

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

I let my son order one since he had finally saved enough money for it (with the condition I get to borrow it! :) ). It really is great at what it does. For me that's a reading and browsing device, from pdfs to books to the specialty apps; if I had one full time, note taking would also be something I could use frequently. And the fact that it does remote desktop makes it a real winner as well, allowing maneuvering around the flash problem.

There's just so much potential there, looking forward to more and more apps.