1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad Thread

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I applaud Apple for its bleeding-edge research and design but seriously? Screwing up DHCP?

2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Clever, huh?

:)

That was great!

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If the DHCP server expires the lease and the iPad continues to use the expired IP address, it's definitely an OS issue. At least Princeton is being nice about it. I'd be blocking every stinking iPad on the campus until Apple got their act together. :rofl:

4. Domh

Domh Full Member

iPhone has a "renew lease" button.

Joe, does iPad have same?

Is that button simply not doing what it is supposed to do or is the automatic lease renew function boned?

Either way, should be a pretty easy fix. It IS a total n00b dev error.

5. joseftu

It does.

I have not experienced this problem at all, and even at Princeton they say that only about half of the iPads they know of on campus have experienced it. That seems strange, to me. If it's a bug in the iPad OS, it would happen with all of them, wouldn't it?

6. Biker

I'm wondering if some students are trying to "game" the system and snagging an IP address via DHCP, then attempting to use it as a static address? That would definitely recreate the issue Princeton is talking about.

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

OMGLOLZ0R!!!!!!! YOU SAY!? JOTUTU ARE NO JEWZ! OMG! U ARE TEH ARAB! OMGLOL! RUN! UR IPAD IS TEH BOMBZOR! YOU SAID!? ASK TEH LEONZ0R HE IS TEH JUDAH! OMG! APPLE IS ALQAYDA N JOBZOR IS TEH GRATE DEVIL! WOOOT! WHAT!? LOL! IPADZ R TEH BOMZ N WILL BLAST U ALL! W00T!

:haha:

8. joseftu

OK, OK. I've got the Torah and the Holy Bible apps, too. Want to make something of it?
    :)

(Honestly, I had that app and was reading the Koran with it when I was in Rome. That was right after the attempted Christmas bombing, and I have to admit I was a little worried when I was getting searched in the airport on the way home. But they never blinked an eye!)

9. Domh

Domh Full Member

Airport security works for Apple Computer.

10. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I went to the Apple Store to get my MacBook Pro serviced today and while I was in decided to check out the iPad. I was underwhelmed. The scaled touch/phone apps look like ass. Not overly impressed with the onscreen keyboard. I don't think I could use it in a client meeting without it being a distracting note taking device and the brightness would also make it distracting to place on a lectern to have notes on IMHO. The big problem in my humble opinion is that when apple unveiled the iPhone it was like Prometheus stealing fire from the gods and bringing it to the people. They created a device that was a joy to use and pushed away many of the problems and issues people had with their mobile phones. I think the heft makes it unergonomic.

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

Wow, from one who I've thought of as a supplicant. (Admitting out of context.)

12. mikeky

mikeky Member

So far 1 million iPads sold. Not a bad start.

13. joseftu

1 million in 28 days. It took 74 days for the original iPhone to sell 1 million.

14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

15. Greg

Greg Full Member

16. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Bibliophile Michael Gerson, former presidential speechwrtier/adviser and now WaPo columnist, waxes poetic about the iPad as an electronic book/newspaper/magazine.

17. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

18. mikeky

mikeky Member

Well, after using a borrowed version yesterday to read pdf documents I emailed to the owner, I can definitely see the usefulness, advantages in many situations over a laptop. I'm almost sold on one.

19. Biker

Apple Hints at Upcoming Fix for IPad Connectivity Issues

:rofl:

Apple Hints at Upcoming Fix for IPad Connectivity Issues - PCWorld Business Center

20. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Questions for Joe, Cari, and others:

Assuming that there's a backlog at my neighborhood bricks-and-mortar Apple store anyway, and I'm in no particular hurry, is there any disadvantage to using the online Apple store to order?

Are there any must-have accessories, and are there as-good or better third-party offerings at better prices? I'm looking particularly at the case and the camera connection kit (for USB and SD cards).

Thanks!