1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad Thread

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'm not a fan boi (far from it) but my understanding from what I've read so far is that Apple doesn't intend the iPad to replace a notebook or a laptop, and that the device was never intended to perform all the functions of those devices. I infer that the iPad is intended to perform many of those functions, but optimized for easier portability/mobility than the larger devices and sacrificing some of the larger devices' capability to achieve that. So there is no use in getting irritated. You just have different expectations than the intended customers.

I'm not quite sure you could say it's a cross between an iPhone and an iTouch. Isn't an iTouch simply an iPhone with no cellular phone capability? I'd call the iPad an iTouch on steroids.

One thing somebody please answer for me, the iTouch must have built in speakers, right? Obviously in such a small/thin device you're not going to get great sound unless you jack in external speakers, but how do the internal speakers sound? That is, if it has any.
  2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

3. Andy

There's an app for that...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAl28d6tbko&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAl28d6tbko&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Discovering a few little 1.0 type glitches (zero wifi problems. The wifi has been nearly perfect, even with a weak signal in the back yard) but still loving it. But what is most amusing is how strongly some people --never having touched or used it, let alone owned it--hate it.

That is the true magic. :)
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

There are fanbois, then there's an opposing force, the haters. Then there's people like me who just want to know, "how is this a need(vs. a want) for me". :)

I have the money for it, I just can't justify the need. If I had a big commute, I'd probably get one, but I don't and the smartphone is perfect for me.
  6. joseftu

I think that is a good distinction. And need vs. want is always a balance with any purchase. Sometimes we do buy things we want but only sort of need, if we can afford it, and the dollar amount for the threshold is somewhat variable. For example, who really needs a bag of M & M s or a cinnamon roll? What about a motorcycle :) ? Or a saltwater aquarium? ( I believe I know people--I am one-- who have spent more than $500 on things like the the last two ;)).

Between the fanboys and the people who balance need and want I think that the haters are going to be far outnumbered for this device. But not everyone who buys one is a fanboy and not everyone who gives it a pass is a hater.
  7. ethics

8. joseftu

9. mikeky

mikeky Member

Nice review. :thumb:
  10. ethics

Thanks for that!
  11. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

G4 had a blurb this morning about a newer smaller iPad for those who want something somewhere in between an iPod touch and an iPad. So that would be what somewhere around 5"x6"? Roughly paper back sized vs magazine/hardback sized?

iPad = Notebook
    New Device = Netbook
    iPod Touch = PDA
  12. joseftu

Sounds interesting!

On a lighter note, I heard that the iPod Touch is being renamed.... "iPad Nano."
  13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

14. Greg

Greg Full Member

What do the internal speakers sound like?
  15. joseftu

They are OK. Not great, but OK. It's two speakers, but not stereo sound. If you're sitting in a quiet room, they are perfectly serviceable. In a place with any background noise, you would want to use earphones.

Half a million sold in the first week. And I think they're really just getting rolling.
  16. Greg

Greg Full Member

Thanks. I didn't expect much and it looks like that's exactly what it's got. However I'm a bit surprised it isn't stereo. Do you mean that it's stereo but due to the size and position that they don't really give any stereo effect?

Anyway external speakers can always be taken along if you want to listen to music or watch video.

Admittedly I've been a bit anti-Apple but I'm still somewhere in the "maybe" area about whether I might become interested enough to buy one.

I can see that the iPad would be fantastically just great in a certain niche of size/power where somebody wants something more capable than a phone but would find it awkward to carry along a laptop/notebook.

I haven't been much interested in buying a dedicated book reader but the iPad has enough additional capability to make it quite attractive.
  17. joseftu

No, from what I've read, they're not stereo. Two speakers, but both mono. I don't hear well enough to verify that with the speakers. With the headphones, it definitely pumps out stereo (I can tell because I don't hear the right channel at all!). So that would mean that if you connected external speakers (to the headphone jack), you would get stereo sound.

But in other news, Princeton U. is now blocking some iPads from their wifi network because of a problem with releasing (I mean not releasing) DHCP-assigned IP addresses.

Full technical information is here
    Anyone with more network experience and knowledge want to comment on that?
  18. Domh

Domh Full Member

The DHCP server, not client (iPad) has the responsibility of IP address lease times and releasing of same. A node will (almost) always try to hang on to the same address it had when last it connected to that network to facilitate ease of access etc.

From the Princeton notice:

"The malfunction we see is that the iPad uses DHCP to obtain a lease, renews the lease zero or more times (as expected), but then continues using the IP address without renewing the lease further. The iPad allows the DHCP lease to expire, but it continues using the IP address after allowing the lease to expire."

Ah. OK. Well... could be that Princeton needs a different lease time but sounds more like an Apple error. If the lease time on an addy is up then the node asks for the same one again and if it doesnt get it needs to flush the old one and use the new one.

So iPad aint flushing.

19. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Joe figured out how to print from his iPad.

20. ethics