1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iOS Apps thread

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by MemphisMark, Feb 17, 2013.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Can we make this a sticky, please?

I thought I would make a post of iOS apps, and have other people post what they like in apps. It's hard to know about all of the apps out there, since there are over 300,000 world wide.

I have an iPad2 and an iPhone 4. A lot of apps are on both of these devices, and communicate between devices.

These are merely in the order that I wrote them down, each app (to me) is useful. I have listed price when I know what it is.

Informant Pro ($14.99) - This a supreme calendar/project/to-do list manager. You can interface with your Google calendar. I am just now starting to use the to-do lists, and the only thing I haven't figured out how to do is synchronize the to-dos between my iPad and iPhone.

Office2 HD ($7.99) - This is an "Office lite" for iOS. It has a word processor, spreadsheet and Power Point presentation. They are useable, but have limitations. The WP is good, and I am typing this post in it. The spreadsheet is adequate, but if you have a lot of formatting and/or formulas, it is better to create it in Excel and then send it to the iOS device. You can email documents directly from this app.

PDF Reader PRO ($5.99) - This is a wonderful program for viewing and storing your PDFs. You can store your files in iCloud, and semi-easily transfer files between your iOS device and your base computer using your browser. You can also download them directly into your device by entering the URL of the file.

mSecure ($9.99) - An outstanding password keeper. It encrypts your information locally, and requires a password to open every time. It updates across your devices using DropBox.

Ancestry (Free) - If you like documenting your family tree, this is how to do it. With your Ancestry.com account, you can access PDF's of records, such as census, birth/death certificates, etc. You can easily enter life dates and events in each persons record. It does cost to view and save the PDF's.

Buy Me A Pie! ($2.99) - This is a shopping list program that manages multiple shopping lists. Also, if you share your account information (account name and PIN) across multiple devices, someone can update their list and it pushes to your device. As long as the different devices have the same user/pin, it doesn't matter if they use the same iTunes account.

Mint - This is a financial enhancement tool. It scans your bank account and matches the transactions to a budget that you develop. This requires constant upkeep, as transactions can easily go to "uncatagorized" and throw everything out of whack.

PocketMoney ($4.99) - This program first appeared on the Apple Newton OS. This is a one man operation what has been developing 4-5 programs since then. Outstanding on the iOS, I use this to track my bank account. This does NOT automatically download any transactions from your bank. I print out my bank account ledger on a weekly basis and then reconciling is as easy as selecting "Pending Transactions" and then pressing a circle to mark it as cleared.

Pageonce - This app contacts all of your accounts (bank, credit cards, utilities, etc.) and aggrigates it into one app, and provides alerts when bills are coming due.

TurboTax - This just came out, and I easily did my taxes on it this year. There is a companion app to track the status of your return.

DocScan Pro - Using your device's camera, take a picture of anything and convert it into a PDF.

SpaceTeam - I thought I would put this in the middle as a fun momentary deversion. This is a Wi-Fi game, which connects up to four players. It is a cooperative game, where you are given a control panel of controls. Switches, buttons, dials and sliders, and you are given commands....Which you have to shout out to the other players because one of the other players has to obey the command you shout out. All of the other players will also be shouting out commands, and you have to figure out which one you have to perform. Add in "damage" to your instrument panel when you don't do what you're told, and this is a fun game to play at a Starbucks or other public setting.

IP Scanner - This is a very good app that provides a detailed list of who is on your Wi-Fi network. There is a free version, which only provides 5 items, and the Pro version ($9.99) that reveals everybody.

I Heart Radio - If you have unlimited bandwidth, then you can listen to just about any radio station that streams on the Internet. There are also "channels," where you get 24 hour coverage, like the Dave Ramsey Channel.

FTP on the Go - A basic FTP app that I use to upload pictures and graphics into my Wordpress blogs.

WordPress (Free) - An app that started out horrible, this one gets my "most improved" award. I have 5 WP blogs that I administer, and I can do all of them from this one app.

Poynt - This app uses your location to determine the closest services, such as gas stations, places to eat, etc.

Yelp - A review app. If you like (or hate) a place, this is where you can rate it.

Khan Academy - A knowledge aggregator. You can watch videos and presentations on a wide variety of subjects.

Big Oven - A recipie sharing app. It costs $19.99 a year to get rid of the ads and add a lot of other features.

IPad Fourms - Learn about and share knowledge about your iPad.

Project Plan HD ($5.99) - a Gantt chart program. It looks nice, but I haven't had the opportunity to use this app a lot.

Slide Shark - Upload your PPTs into their cloud, then download and show them on your iPad.

DropBox - Cloud storage that also has a PC app so you can store your databases locally. Works with a lot of apps.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Everyone I know is going away from iOS. Perhaps my circle of people tends to be more tech geeks and would explain the exodus.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

That's cause you hang out with LOSERS who prefer Google's data mining, battery draining and fragmented technology over iOS simply so they can "customize" the screen more. Yeah...that's a great trade-off over it just works. ;) ;) ;)

Nah, it just goes to show two things. One, how far Android has really come and two, how iOS is becoming "old" in the technology crowd. They are bored with iOS and wanting something "new" to play with.

ethics likes this.
  4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Here is my list of favorite apps right now (excluding games). This list is from my iPhone 5, but many will also work on the iPad.

Garmin USA ($49.99) - My favorite GPS app. Maps are loaded on your phone so data connection is not necessary. Comes in handy when in areas with weak cellular signal as nothing has to download.

BeetTheTraffic (Free) - Great little free app that shows real-time local traffic in your area.

AccuWeather (Free) - Weather app with nice features and relatively accurate forecasts.

Bump (Free) - Allows you to bump phones together (or to your browser) to quickly and easily share contact and pictures.

Converter Plus (Free) - Great little conversion app.

Zite (Free) - My current favorite news reading app. Can pick categories of interest and the app is fast and well designed.

Pocket (Free) - Used to be called Read-It-Later. Install the FF plug in and you can quickly mark articles or webpages to be read later in Pocket. Shows up instantly in both your browser and in the app.

Tapatalk ($2.99) - Best app for reading GA and other forums.

Reeder ($2.99) - If you are a Google Reader user, this app is a must have. I've tried all the different Google Reader apps and always keep coming back to Reeder.

Amazon (Free) - Obviously only applicable if you are an Amazon shopper. Great little app and even has a bar code scanner built in to scan items in-store and then just order from your phone.

RedLaser (Free) - Barcode scanner, shopping assistant and QR code reader. Amazon doesn't always have the best price, but RedLaser will help you find who does.

Yahoo! Sportacular (Free) - My favorite sports app for following your favorite teams in all the major sports.

Pandora & Spotify (both Free) - Both are great music listening apps. While I prefer Spotify on the desktop, both are good on the iPhone. I'm hoping that Spotify will be successful in their current negotiations with the industry to make their iPhone app more like their desktop app.

OpenTable (Free) - If you eat out a lot, this is a great app for making reservations and for general information about the restaurants.

Flixter (Free) - App for finding movie showtimes and locations around you.

HBOGO (Free but requires HBO subscription through your cable/sat provider) - Stream HBO's vast library to your device and even to your TV (with Apple TV and airplay).

Amazon Instant (Free but requires an Amazon Prime Membership) - Stream Amazon videos to your device (free Prime videos or rented videos).

Redbox (Free) - Search your nearby Redbox locations for current inventory and reserve the title right from your phone.

Fanhattan (Free) - Search movies and TV shows and the app will show you which streaming services currently offer the title.

CNBC Real-Time (Free) - Real time stock market numbers. Not delayed like Yahoo! Finance and others.

ethics likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I was going to ask that too. Right now I'm too busy to download anything, but I see some that I'd like to get later. Thanks to you guys for posting them.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It was "stickied" a few minutes after Mark posted it.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Uh-oh, I've been doing too much genealogy today. Thanks for the heads up! At least you didn't call me "dude."

8. MemphisMark

Hardware review:

I just got the Logitech Zagg keyboard case. It doubles as a screen protector when it is not in use. You have access to all of the iPads ports while it is joined to the iPad. It uses a rechargeable battery, so you plug it into any USB port for a few hours to fully charge it. It comes with its own charging cable, but no AC charger.

As far as use goes, I have no problems with it. It's a little smaller than the Apple Wireless Keyboard I have been using, but I adjusted quickly.

It is meant for the iPad 2 and the New iPad. The original iPad does not fit.

I have included a couple of pictures of it. I got it for $40 at Wal-Mart, the list on their website is $80.

Attached Files:

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Alarmed.

I am not a to do or an alarm guy but man, this is such a huge productivity boost for me. I am actually doing more with less.

10. MemphisMark

Ethics,

Just wait until you can do anything with nothing! :run-66:

11. MemphisMark

I can't believe this has been up for 16 months!

First of all, changes:

I no longer use Pocket Money. The developer died a couple of years ago and the people who took it over has stopped all development and bug fixing. They don't post on their own forums. I bought Newton apps from this guy.

Office2 HD is now QuickEdit. They hound you on using their cloud storage, their spreadsheet isn't the best (some sheets I create in Excel won't work in QE) and the word processor tends to not close files nicely, leading to a lot of " (recovered) " filenames in your list. I'm still somewhat satisfied with them. I haven't found a better integrated program for a similar price.

PageOnce is now known as Check.

New Stuff:

CareZone Meds (Free): A medical information app, you can store your medications, journal and more for each member of your family. Will remind you when it's time to take medications.

MoneyWiz (4.99): My PocketMoney replacement. PIN or password protection. Much easier to balance the accounts.

BillMinder/Debt Minder (2.99/1.99): These two apps work together. You record and track your debts in DebtMinder. You use BillMinder to set up your payments, and BM will pass the payment info over and it records in DM. It was a little confusing initially, which can lead to some "double payments" in DM, throwing your balances off. NOTE: This is a tracker, these apps do not make the payments for you.

I have moved my Gantt charting over to SG Project Pro (59.99) I have version 4.4 to the current 5. It came in very handy when I organized the Conference I chaired last year.

U.S. Armed Forces (1.99): An all-in-one-location app for almost any military-related information you might need. UCMJ, General Orders, Hardware, Awards and Decorations, pay information, MOS and Rate (No NEC's that I see) and more. Some stuff requires an additional .99 purchase.

Meetup (free): You have to pay to organize and promote a group, but to signup on the attendee side, it's free. A wide variety of groups, all organized by locality.

Fun Stuff:

ISS Spotter (Free): Want to know when the ISS is overhead? This app lets you know where the ISS is and can alert you when it will be overhead, it you like looking into the sky and seeing things like that.

StarWalk HD (2.99): If you are into stargazing, you need this app! This app was featured on one of Apple's commercials. Stars, constellations, satellites and more, with a wonderful soundtrack are all featured. It also features a time machine option, where you can see how the stars looked at any point in history or the future. It also has a daily gallery of astronomical images. It also has a "night mode" that turns the display red so you can use it outside at night without blinding yourself.

Empire Fleet: Kinda-sorta Naval themed MMORPG. You have an island where you develop resources, build ships and fight battles in stages and against other players for position. You do not lose ships in these. You can also go raid other islands or players for resources. You DO lose ships when you do these. Spend resources to enhance production and buff up your ships. Level up buildings for more capabilities, better ships and faster production times. 10-15 minutes at a time, several times a day to keep on top of things. You can also join/form alliances or stay a lone wolf (like I am).

Games:

I am an avid board gamer. These games are iOS ports from physical board games:

All games have a variable number of AI's, usually with different difficulty levels you can play against, except Pandemic.

There are several "modes" to multiplayer play:

(LO) Live Only, you are in the game on-line the entire time. You watch the other players make their moves.
    (TBW) Turn-Based, Wait. This means when player A completes their action, player B is notified and can do it when they are able to.
    (TBT) Turn Based, Timed. Like TBW, but you have a set amount of total wait time (like a chess clock) once you are informed it's your turn, your clock starts. Once your timer reaches zero, you are out and a roboplayer will take over.
    (PNP) Pass and Play, one device, physically passed between players at the same location.

Stone Age: The Board Game (6.99): TBW, PNP. Collect resources, build buildings and trade with boats.

Carcassonne (9.99): LO, PNP. Tile placement to build roads and cities. Multiple expansions. Used at local game events as a "warm-up."

Bang! the Official Video Game (2.99): LO, PNP. A Spaghetti western kind of game. A circle of gunslingers (A sheriff, a deputy, Outlaws and a Renagade, each with a different win objective), play cards to shoot each other to attain their goals. Each player has a different personality which gives them different powers, and the roles are hidden with the exception of the sheriff.

Puerto Rico HD (4.99): LO, PNP. Build plantations to grow resources and buildings to process them.

Ticket To Ride (6.99): LO, PNP. Build train routes across the US to connect cities. Several follow on boards and card sets as expansions.

D&D Lords of Waterdeep (6.99): TBT, PNP. You play the "Lord" who finances and sends out the D&D party of adventurers to get neet stuff for you. Two expansions.

Eclipse (6.99): LO, PNP. A "4X" game (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate) space empire game.

Pandemic: The Board Game (6.99) PNP. A Cooperative game where the players work together to defeat the game mechanics. Every player has a different role and brings different talents. You are working to eradicate multiple pandemics. There is no "Single player" option. NO AI's to help you play.

Agricola (6.99): TBT, PNP. Agricola is Latin for "farmer." You develop your property and grow your family.

Quarriors! (3.99): TBW, PNP. You roll dice to collect "Quiddity" which you use to capture other dice for monsters and spells. Attack other players and try to make your monsters live to the start of your next turn, when they score.

Zombies!!! ® Board Game (0.99):LO, PNP. The classic Zombies game. Place tiles of town sections loaded with zombies, bullets and health. Try to survive until the (last) Helipad tile comes out, and fight your way to that tile where you are airlifted out.

Zombie Dice (Free). PNP. You are the zombie here. Roll dice that have brains (yum!), feet (escaped people) and shotgun blasts (bad). Red, yellow and green dice have different mixes of these symbols. Red has more shotguns, green has more brains. Push your luck Yahtzee type of game. Another in-person warm-up game.

12. MemphisMark

I have dropped QuickEdit. Since Citrix bought the company, they added their own Cloud storage and made it mandatory that you use it. I called a CSR, who told me the only way to get around this was to use a bogus email address.

I am now evaluating Pages and Numbers, Apple's version of Word and Excel. Review to come later.

ethics likes this.
  13. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Those of you with iPhones on limited data plans may want to check this out...

http://qz.com/510329/you-might-want-to-t...ited-data/

Seems that iOs 9 automatically turns on something call WiFi Data Assist that will switch you over to your wireless provider if the Apple gods decide your wifi connection is too slow... whether you want it to or not. You can turn it off by scrolling to the bottom of your Cellular setting and flicking the off switch.

Sneaky Applebastids!

Allene and ethics like this.