1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iOS 7 is out!

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by MemphisMark, Sep 19, 2013.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Well folks, I set my iPhone and iPad to upgrade to iOS 7 last night, and it happened over night.

I woke up this morning, and both devices were ready to go. They look nice, that's a given. Just so you know, I bought an Apple ][e in 84, and a Fat Mac after that. I still have my Newton, and it still works. But I am not a total unquestioning fanboi.

One thing I do not like is how you only have 9 apps that you can see at once when you open a folder. You have to swipe for the rest.

I am sure other things will be revealed as time goes on, but I wanted to open this discussion thread and see what the other Apple owners think.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It's nice, it's not "the biggest thing since the original iPhone" but the new features are nice. The GUI? That will take some getting used to.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

The more I'm playing with it, the more I'm really liking it.

The look definitely takes some getting used to.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I haven't downloaded it yet. Slowpoke as usual.

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Meh. Took 4 system restores to make it work in my iphone4. Chrome mobile seems even slower than before. And the way to close out open apps now was not very intuitive and I had to look it up.

6. tke711

Yeah, I read that the iPhone 4 hardware is a bit antiquated for iOS 7 animations and graphics which results in many delays.

Supposedly there are settings you can change to help that a little bit, but I don't think I'll update kiddos iPhone 4 to the new iOS.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

Does it involve some sort of hack to install IOS 7 on an earlier iPhone? I see I can install it on my iPhone 5 if I free up enough space. It says IOS 7.0 requires 752 MB but I must free up 3.1 GB... I'm guessing the difference (2.4 GB) must be used temporarily during installation.

I think I'll just wait and see how IOS 7 is received by people who install it on their iPhones. (Of course the 5S and 5C comes with 7 installed.)

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Reading a bit more, IOS 7 has some interesting features that many iPhone owners will like. Like turning off Find My Phone, erasing, reactivation and signing out of iCloud requires your Apple ID password. I like the iTunes radio: streaming radio service, pick from over 250 featured and genre-focused stations. I don't know if they mean automated streams generated from iTunes or radio feeds from real stations, or both... I recently installed the iHeartRadio app so I can listen to Sean Hannity's radio show (some L.A. radio stations don't make it over the hill).

It's going to take some time to even understand what new features it adds to iPhones. It will be really interesting to hear reaction from the public.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Newer just de facto means different. Different means some stuff goes away and some different or additional stuff is added. Different is not necessarily synonymous with better. Time will tell. Meanwhile I'm both too stupid and ignorant to know how to upgrade my two month old iPhone 5, my first Smartphone to iOS7. I'm interested in learning how but am not obsessed with something cause it is newer. I can wait and see, be it a week or more.

10. tke711

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

12. ethics

13. tke711

Here is a nice list of other new features in iOS that may not have been highlighted during the keynote.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/09/ios-7-hidden-features.html

Overall, I really like iOS 7. I'm still not completely used to the new UI with all the white, but I'm getting there. The functionality though is fantastic.

14. ethics

Maps alone is worth the upgrade. Traffic info still sucks as it's off ~20 on an 1 hour ride but... hey, at least it has something now.

15. ethics

Arc, you can finally change the text size. I think that was a huge thing for you.

16. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I see you finally get time stamps on text messages. And live wallpapers.

17. ethics

Was there before.

What we got now is Parallax. Which Android -- I don't believe -- has.

18. tke711

Full time stamps (swipe left in iMessage) is new. Before all you got was time stamps periodically through a conversations.

19. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

**cough**

20. Arc

Arc Full Member

Reading all of the gaggle of posts in an Apple forum at another site the initial "reviews" (just initial observations really at this point), are interesting. A bit more complaints than praises but its all on the look mostly IMO. Many people need to find a dark wallpaper to better see the fonts. Differing opinions on whether battery life is better or worse. Movable wallpaper is an active feature so it drains battery which all though a small drain I guess is relevant to those with an issue of battery life I presume because they are heavy users. (My battery doesn't get down to 20 percent until two days. Sometimes all most three full days. I'm not exactly a power user.)

As I said nobody is really talking hardcore real world stuff on why iOS7 is so much on a functional basis substantially better than iOS6...but again they haven't really used the new OS that much yet and it hasn't been subjected to user wars yet. All the preceding is just what I read. I only use a small percentage of the features on my iOS6 so far. Overall the only and I mean only complaint is I would like a bigger screen. I have XL hands so size isn't a negative issue for me. All though the 4 inch size fits very nicely in my gym or workout shorts which is what I wear most of the time. I can even go on short bike rides with the phone secure in those shorts. For long rides I leave the phone at home as I put on bike shorts. I need to buy some sort of attachment that straps to my arm that has a pocket just for the iPhone.

Thanks to all abut download. If I download, maybe tomorrow or later in the week, I'll use iTunes. I don't have WiFi at home to connect to and the download using the Verizon is close to one GB or so they say. Plus anything over the air has a normal "risk" of something going wrong.