1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible Users CAN'T Access Who's Online

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Dec 3, 2002.

?

Should Invisible Users Access Who's Online?

1. Leave as it is now, do not change.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fair is fair, if we can't see them, change it so they can't use Who's Online.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wanted to see how many would be interested in implementing this policy.

Basically, people can choose to be invisible to the board (not to mods or admins though). What I want to know is how fair is it for the people who are invisible to utilize the "Who's Online" and see who is doing what on the forum.

So here's a democratic poll where the majority will rule. Voting is open for 2 days and the winner choice will be implemented.

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Before I vote, let me see if I have this right:

They are invisible to us, meaning they do not appear in the list of members currently online, but they can view that very same list, correct?

If correct, I see no need to change anything. They can monitor perfectly well what's going on by reading posts. The list of members currently online is only indirectly related to the people actually posting in forums at any given moment; as long as the posts are visible to invisible members, I see nothing to be gained by limiting their viewing of the list of online members.

Now, if you want to create the ultimate lurker by also restricting their ability to read any of the forums........;)

3. ethics

No, if you click on the "Who's Online" link above where everyone is listed you will see who is doing what on the forum. That's what I want to address, not whether people can see who is online.

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

Why even have the feature that lets you see who is browsing which forum? Seems it could only be used for unsavory purposes.

5. ethics

That can be easily turned off also.

6. Flagger

Flagger Well-Known Member

Is it possible to make it so no one can see what you are doing in the Forums if you are visible? The invisibilty seems to allow that option for people. Some people may prefer some privacy.

Edit: It seems that question was answered above.

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I get nervous sometimes by clicking on that and seeing some people in the same forum I am in, but I can live with that by not clicking on it. I know a few other members don't like it, but I say leave it as is.

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Yah, what flagger said. I dont want anyone knowing I'm reading the masterbation thread :p

9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I think I'm inclined to agree with mikeky. I didn't even know that feature existed until you pointed it out ethics. I can't really think of a reason we would all need to know exactly where someone is on the site. I understand the interest in knowing a person is logged in, but to know exactly what thread they are in at a particular moment seems a bit unnecessary.

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Misu -- then is it all right if they that see you are a major contributor to the thread?

11. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

OMG I just spit out my soda on my desk !!!!

ROFLMAO !!!!!

12. ethics

Hidden forums like the GJ will not be seen to users who have no access there.

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Click where? I can't find such a link.

14. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Oh and btw I could care less if the function was removed or not.

I kinda agree as long as you can tell if someone is *online* additional information provided by the control panel function seems like something only a mod would need on occasion.

15. ethics

Home page of the forum click on the Currently Active Users:

16. Flagger

Flagger Well-Known Member

There have been situations where people have been harrassed because they were seen online so I can understand people wanting to use invisibility.

17. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I don't understand the "controversy?" Everybody has the choice and complete control of being "listed" or "unlisted." So since you can be either and can do so at will why should anyone be unhappy about it?

Now if only certain members or categories of members had the choice than I could see a legitimate gripe.

Where is Willliam Wallace when we need him!:)

18. ethics

There's no controversy and no one in particular brought this to my attention. I, in my endless search to make the forum tighter, was just thinking this over and instead of slapping it out and saying, "too bad, you will like it!" I figured I'd let the members decide. :)

19. MJF

MJF Amphibious Member

Finally found what y'all are talking about.

I need to do more clicking around to find all these features.

Anyway, it's no big deal. <b>Leave it be!</b>

20. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

where's the option "i can't care less who sees me online"? :)