1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interracial Intimacy

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 2, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

White-black dating, marriage, and adoption are on the rise. This development, however, is being met with resistancemore vocally by blacks than by whites.

Good read, from The Atlantic. Not too long either. :)

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

"A third camp opposes interracial marriage, on the grounds that it expresses racial disloyalty, suggests disapproval of fellow blacks, undermines black culture, weakens the African-American marriage market, and feeds racist mythologies, particularly the canard that blacks lack pride of race."

It's good to see that racism is, itself, color-blind.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Good Lord...need I even enter into these waters? :rolleyes:

At the risk of moving OT, has anyone here ever dated outside of their respective races? And I mean real dating, not just doing the Wild Thang.

SM

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yah, which is why I got married to someone from the homeland. :)

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Only because it was an arranged marriage ;)

Your poor hottie wife, she had to put up with these antiquated customs, probably why you won't post a picture ;)

:_ :happy: :happy: :happy:

6. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

While we dont have the black / white mix you have in the US there are al ot of Aussie blokes marrying Asian women here in recent years. For a variety of reasons. Firstly some of the ladies are just so hot. That olive skin and black hair and petite bodies. Wow, I don't blame them for going for them.
    On the other hand, some of these guys are older, widowers or just horny for some pussy of any variety and there a lot of these ladies available. Also there are a significant number after Aus citizenship and the best way to get it quickly is to marry a local.

The number of female Asian Uni students here is mind boggling. Almost as mind boggling as their olive skin, black hair, petite bodies....OK, I'll stop.:)

7. Sierra Mike

8. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

My ex-wife (of cursed memory) was the child of a Japanese mother and an American father.
    As a child of "interracial intimacy," she suffered big problems with her identity, and with prejudice and racism from both her mother's family (and even Japanese strangers) and her father's family (and even American strangers).
    Some of this, clearly, was a result of the specific circumstances of occupation-era Japan which led to her parents' meeting and marriage.
    But I think there are always some extra problems for the children of interracial marriages.

9. Sierra Mike

That does happen, and that's true; biracial kids have some difficulty assimilating, depending on where they are. Whites are generally not the problem; it seems to stem from other ethnicities. Japanese are actually pretty cool about it, as they've lived with it for some time, but Asians in general can be real ball-busters about it, since "ethnic purity" is something they still value at some level or another.

Things are changing considerably in that regard, however.

SM

10. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Interesting article.

I have interracial marriages from both sides of my marriage.

First, my sister is married to a black man and has been since 1970. Their off-spring are well rounded individuals that have experienced little if no effect from the racial attitudes prevalent when their parents got married. One is a law student at Harvard and the other is working in Oberlin, Ohio as a pilot. The racial problems their parents went through is a totally different matter.
    My father actually exiled her from the family, mostly due to the attitudes of the neighbors than by his personal feelings. It took several years but his re-conciliation with her and the family eventually took place and his love for the husband of my sister became quite evident. The rest of my family never even considered this inter-racial matter of any consequence. I don't know why this is so, but we had never considered race as being separate in the family of humanity. I am not bragging we truly never considered it.

My wife's daughter, previous to our marriage, also lived with a black man and had two children. He joined the Black Muslims in the 1980's and consequently after living for two years in my wife's household suddenly proclaimed that she (my wife) was prejudiced and promptly left leaving the care of his children with no support. The mother distraught, embarked on a path that led to an involvement with another black man whose schizophrenic disease entailed daily beatings and such physical abuse that she has been hospitalized many times. She has refused support and counseling and continues to this day in a life of living Hell. One child is now grown and has a baby of her own. Not married and very little if any support from the father. The other child was rescued from the streets and has been a part of my family for the last two years. He recently turned 17 and is often quite a burden as he continually gets in trouble at school, dislikes whites, hates authority and with the greatest effort on our part, is slowly maturing and I hope not a lost cause.

So there you are. Two interracial relationships and excuse the pun a difference of black and white. One set of children with the highest abilities brought up with proper care and schooling and another set of children not far from a ghetto-like mentality bereft of the necessary love , attention and care during their formative years. My wife and I have become their surrogate parents and can only try to rectify with love all the damage done.

Attitudes about racial disparity start at home. And make no mistake, proper care and love will enable any to cope with the pressures of outside influence or social mores.

Yes there is still much prejudice in the world today. And views about these prejudices ebb and flow. It is only by education, in schools and mostly on the parental area that understanding in racial matters can improve.

11. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Yes, that's true. I was taught that while we weren't better than others...it just wasn't done. Especially if they were black. It wasn't a "smart" move in life.... would cause nothing but road blocks, etc. So, it wasn't a consideration as far as I was concerned.

12. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I don't know, Steve, in my experience (admittedly, it was about ten years ago), Japanese were not <b>at all</b> cool about it. The reactions ran a wide range from titillation and attributing exotic sexuality, to total shame and disgust. (I clearly remember my ex-wife's mother making her two half-gaijin daughters wait in the car instead of going to their grandfather's grave site, and screaming--frequently--about how they would never learn correct behavior, would always be selfish, would never be "truly" Japanese).
    In America, the stereotype more frequently had to do with the "Eurasian Beauty" image...but stereotypes are harmful, and maybe more insidious, when they're "positive."

13. Sierra Mike

Nothing what you say is wrong. But these days, Japanese women walk in public with African-American men. Even in the 1970s, that would be problematic.

It's an individual choice as opposed to a cultural one. The Japanese society is not a remarkably open one, but I've only heard of one person having issues with mistreatment by Japanese society, and she was in an interracial marriage with a Swiss. This was in the early 1970s.

I can't give you any insights to anything that happened before the 1990s, when I began to accumulate real, actual experience in Asian affairs. Your combat radius may vary.

SM

14. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

Dont' forget to mention that Popular media aka MTV is promoting this. it is also a fad or rite of passage for younger white females to be with black males. The reason for which is pretty much understood without saying as much, given the reputation of black "endowment"