1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Privacy

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

With the current administration dead bent on undoing anything and everything from the previous administration, one of the casualties appears to be Internet privacy. While Congress hasn't made a final vote on revoking the FCCs privacy measures from last year (they could do so any day now), it would be wise to start thinking about privacy now, before Congress gives the green light to your ISP to collect and sell your information.

First, install HTTPS Everywhere from EFF (For Firefox, Firefox for Android, Chrome and Opera)

HTTPS Everywhere

Second, get a good VPN service. We've discussed this in a few threads, and NordVPN offers a great deal right now if you spring for a 2 year subscription.

Third, set your DNS settings on your PC to use something that doesn't track you. The problem with this is it's not a guaranteed method of evading ISP tracking, especially if it's one of the "open" DNS options like Google, OpenDNS, etc. These companies use transparent DNS proxies which may or may not be leaking information. Not to mention, Google is the last company I'd trust to not collect my browsing information. I'm researching ways to limit this and will post in this thread when I find a decent, easy to use solution.

cmhbob, Allene and SixofNine like this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Installed a few minutes ago! Thanks for letting us know.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Our new FCC chairman was a Verizon lawyer. He's a public opponent of net neutrality, and he's trying to kill the FCC project that would eliminate the need to rent set-top boxes from cable providers.

4. Biker

Yep. He's already on record for undoing much of what was accomplished, including the Title II changes that were put into place last year. Combine that with Congressional intent on pretty much gutting the FCC to prevent the agency to do anything and we're now pretty much at the mercy of whatever Internet providers wish to do.

5. Biker

I should also add that doing the things in my first post won't guarantee absolute privacy, especially if the VPN service you use decides the temptation of getting all that extra cash from selling your info is just too good to pass up. But it sure will mitigate a lot of the crap that the ISPs are just drooling to do.

6. Biker

And it begins.

The First Horseman of the Privacy Apocalypse Has Already Arrived: Verizon Announces Plans to Install Spyware on All Its Android Phones

You just KNOW they had this one built and waiting in the wings already. And the other major carriers are most likely going to follow suit. **sigh**

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Got any recommendations for this one? I had a couple I used to use YEARS ago but lost them.

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

"Internet privacy" is an oxymoron. If a person views loss of privacy as damaging all one can do at best is take steps to mitigate or reduce the level of ongoing damage. Limit exposure. Or put another way slow the hemorrhaging of information about any given individual.

The concept or belief in privacy in mainstream society as a whole has been a fantasy of the 21st century.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

UPDATE: We have received additional information from Verizon and based on that information we are withdrawing this post while we investigate further. Here is the statement from Kelly Crummey, Director of Corporate Communications of Verizon: "As we said earlier this week, we are testing AppFlash to make app discovery better for consumers. The test is on a single phone – LG K20 V – and you have to opt-in to use the app. Or, you can easily disable the app. Nobody is required to use it. Verizon is committed to your privacy. Visit www.verizon.com/about/privacy to view our Privacy Policy."

UPDATE: Verizon Software on Android Phones

Doesn't mean they will get there eventually.

Been using PIA for 4 years now, love it, it's not too pricey (40 bucks a year) and they never log anything.

Privacy Policy, VPN Network Services | Private Internet Access <--- their policy
    Article on them from 2013.

They have also been very vocal about what just happened in Congress.

10. Biker

When it suits them.

NordVPN also has a "no log" policy and they're based in Panama, which is traditionally Internet friendly. So if anyone submits a legal request to them, they can pretty much tell them to fuck off with impunity and not worry about the ramifications of refusing.

11. Biker

I'm testing something right now (DNSCrypt), but I'm not prepared to say yay or nay on it yet.

12. Biker

OK. Some observations regarding DNS.

If you use a VPN, you can obtain DNS info from your VPN provider which should go a long way to preventing DNS leakage.

Some folks swear by OpenDNS over Google.

Both have some worrying aspects. Especially Google. OpenDNS is now owned by Cisco. While Cisco may be a trusted company, there's going to be an awful lot of information being passed through that corporation that may have value. And their privacy policy does state they'll pass on info to 3rd parties.

Still researching and testing. Once I come up with something that looks good, I'll post in this thread.

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

You confuse me sometimes, sir. Based on other posts and your Twitter feed I thought you were using NordVPN. Now which is it?

In all seriousness, I hopped on NordVPN based on the very good deal Tom posted a while back. They're a Panamanian-based company so supposedly they're not part of the "14-eyes" or whatever and they claim to not log your activity. But honestly their speeds and server load is not the best. I like their price, but not the service. You pleased with PIA?

14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I bought NordVN when they had the 2yr special price (see screenshot). They tend to be SLOWER for me than PIA. Don't get me wrong. for a casual user they are more than fine. I'm data hungry. So for example, to circumvent NHL blackout rules to watch my Devils, I will use PIA and not see any difference in quality of the stream. With Nord, I did see a bit of buffering.

Attached Files:

15. anajames

anajames Full Member

With Nord i did not have a good experience either. It is just OK.

ethics likes this.
  16. anajames

anajames Full Member

Would recommend to go for Astrill it is good specially with dedicated IP.

17. Biker

Astrill logs the hell out of your connections. A good VPN will not log your activity if privacy is one of your main concerns in using one.

That One Privacy Site | Detailed VPN Comparison Chart

jimeez likes this.
  18. anajames

anajames Full Member

With the Logs i just do not know who to believe and who to not. Be it Astrill or any other. And i do not use it for privacy though.

19. Biker

20. anajames

anajames Full Member

Good compilation.