1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet privacy? What privacy?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Late last year, Groklaw posted something rather disturbing on their website which pretty much went unnoticed.

This was just part of a long post explaining why Groklaw would from that day forward, be a thing of the past. And what was it that drove this decision?

Ladar Levison, founder of Lavabit, writes:

Read the May 20th entry. If you didn't think the government will do anything within its power to get its way, that should leave no doubt. Even if it means skirting the law.

So now we come to present day. Defcon 22 has resulted in some rather interesting articles and Levison is working on a new secure email concept that promises to be a thorn in the side of the government.

Currently, encrypting email has been a royal pain in the ass. The de facto standard (PGP) is a pain to use, and even the most savy users find it cumbersome and complicated. What Levison is working on is a new system that seamlessly encrypts your emails automatically with no input required from the user.

Here's to hoping he's successful. I, for one, will seriously consider using the service once it's in place.
  2. Biker

3. Biker

And they're back.

..:: Lavabit Reloaded ::..

I may spring for a premium account.
  4. Arc

Arc Full Member

If I remember correctly ethics loved them back in the day when he discovered the best new "privacy" protection or utility program or app, (and different from his previous favorite), each week. ;)
    Allene likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

LOL! I wondered where I'd heard about Lavabit before!