1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Movie Database

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ditch, Nov 9, 2002.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Does anyone else have trouble loading the IMDB page? www.imdb.com either refuses to load fully or not at all. This has been happening for a few weeks. any ideas on fixes would be appreciated.

2. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

I just tried your link ditch, and the page <i>opened</i> a little slowly (about 10 seconds with a 768/128 DSL connection) but completely. I am running a Hosts file, so there was no waiting for other servers to DL ads. Perhaps that is where you are getting hung up?

3. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

It just opened for me in under 4 seconds... I'm using a 1500/128 cable connection...

BDD... :{)

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

OK you might be right there Dan. It has opened eventually only once and after a long time. I have cable here which is very reliable. I also have trouble loading www.zonelabs.com.
    Maybe there is a setting I have not checked or whatever.

5. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

No problems with that one either. Hmm....

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

It loaded very quickly for me(under 2 sec). Perhaps it's a routing issue and out of your control. I'm assuming other sites are loading just fine? I'm sure it will correct itself, whatever it is.

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

It could be a routing issue yes. If its out of my control its not as frustrating as not knowing what to fix. I was trying to look up that quote DSLDan posted that started "Your life will never be the same..." in the More troops to Horn of Africa post in Africa and Middle East forum.

8. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Yikes ditch, that was a very rough paraphrasing of perhaps a bunch of quotes from old movies. Regret if I sent you off on a wild goose chase. I'll look around myself and post back if I find anything.

9. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

No problem Dan. Even if a rough paraphrase it sounds very familiar. Sometimes putting in the first few words for a search will get an answer.

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The IP of www.imdb.com is 207.171.166.140. I cannot ping this address. That means theres a routing problem perhaps? I'll get onto my ISP and see what the answer is.

11. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Ditch, I "googled" around like that for a while last night--to no avail. Will try again later today, but we may be on a wild goose chase. Oh well at least I'm finding a lot of good sites in case my car starts to backfire. :)

12. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Not necessarily...they could have their routers configured not to respond to ICMP, a method used to help prevent DoS attacks. I just tried to ping it myself, and got nada...

TRACERT gives me a good return up until 12.123.9.41, which is on AT&T's network, and is one of their access routers...after that, ICMP seems to be masked.

SM

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

"TRACERT gives me a good return up until 12.123.9.41, which is on AT&T's network, and is one of their access routers...after that, ICMP seems to be masked."

I rang my ISP here Steve who tells me it is the settings on the DLink Internet Gateway I feed my modem into. Both computers feed off the DLink. The ISP couldn't ping the number either. Hopefully DLink will have the answer.