1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Explorer problem

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by cdw, Jan 17, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I'm baaaack. :haha:

Here's the scoop. I use Internet Explorer. Sometimes when I go to a site or click one of the links here to a site (which we all know are harmless), internet explorer will just close up. It doesn't lock me up or anything, and if I click on the icon, ie comes right back up, but, it will just shut the page. If I want to view the site, I have to log into compuserve, and go through that route.
    In other words, if I log into GA via compuserve and go to the link in the thread, I'm fine. If I log into GA using internet explorer and go to the link in the thread, it will close up. Not all the time, but enough to make it annoying.
    Any ideas?

Gee, isn't this fun?

2. IamZed

IamZed ...

That will only happen to me when I havent rebooted for about a week. Then IE begins selectively picking out urls it will shut down on. I have XP so I get the send report box the instant I click some links. Booting fixes it for me.

3. cdw

No, that can't be it because I was trying to install the digital camera stuff yesterday and had to shut down a couple of times.
    Also, I have cable connection that throughout the week will drop the connection for a couple of seconds and won't let me reconnect unless I reboot.

4. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

does IE come up with any illegal operation error messages? also, when you connect through IE you are just using a dial up networking connection right? Does compuserve use any proprietary software?

5. cdw

No, that's the weird thing... no error message, nothing. Just closes up.... including any other ie windows I may have open at the time. It takes about 2-3 seconds....it will take me to the website either via a link or the address, let me see the website and then about 2-3 seconds later just closes up. Very strange.
    I am on Windows 98, connect via cable through the local cablevision provider. I connect to compuserve the same way and that requires membership and software. It doesn't happen there... So, I am assuming that it's some kind of kink with my ie.
    Because I can't download software off the internet using either ie or compuserve, I'm assuming that's some kind of kink with my MS?
    Hey, lol.... I be a real dummy when it comes to this stuff, so I don't know what the hell I"m talking about. Tomorrow my neighbors nephew, who supposedly is a wiz at these things is coming over.... I'm gonna see if he can at least fix this download problem that I have.

6. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

would need to know more about what happens when you try to download in order to try to troubleshoot that. If I remember correctly, in Win98 IE has a repair option. I doubt this will fix your problem, but it is at least worth a shot. When you go to add/remove programs in your control panel and click on IE it should give you the option of repairing it. Like I said, doubt it will work but is worth a shot. Also, you might want to try reinstalling IE, but on 98 that is a bit of a hairy process at times.

7. cdw

Maybe I'll just wait until I can afford a brand new one and start over, lol.
    A while back I got a virus. Took the whole magila down to the repair shop and he got rid of it, upgraded me and put on the virus protection thing. Since that time, I have had the difficulty with the downloading. I guess something is corrupt? He's the one that installed the newer version of IE. And that's when that whole thing started. So, I guess he kinda sorta repaired it... as in he was close. I'll see what this nephew has to say tomorrow and if worst comes to worst I can always call the shop and have them come to the home. This way he'll see what it's doing here. When I've brought it there once before he said it wasn't doing that in his place.

8. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

ok, if you have to pay the silly repair shop though, don't :) I bet we can walk you through anything he can do with our eyes closed and one finger on the keyboard.

9. cdw

Yes, I'll bet you guys can as long as it's as simple as "follow the yellow brick road" :)
    I'll see what this nephew has to say tomorrow. If he can't fix it, then I'll be back be sure of that.