1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting view of China, from a Canadian

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jun 10, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

She posted this with a narrative captions. I wish it was longer because I see SO much of WTF... than whatever she considers WTF. But still enjoyable.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dG6ti

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Novice. I remember when the bicycles were king in China!

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I like that vending machine library, but their supermarkets are repulsive! I'd lose 10 pounds in the first week there for sure.

4. ethics

What would you add to that? Anything that would blow us away?

5. ethics

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand the question.

China's an interesting place, but you have to leave the confines of Beijing and Shanghai to understand exactly how much of a basketcase it is. In the city square of Chongqing, people bring out disabled kids and put them on display to beg for money. A cordon of uniformed police stand nearby, not to do anything about the victimization of the children, but to ensure no one steals them and puts them to work for anyone other than their obliged "handlers." A lot of these kids are bought from their parents, who don't want them anyway, so they can be used a revenue generating machines.

In Tangshan, which is a small city vacation city for the elite about two hours southeast of Beijing, school kids will line up in neat little military formations every morning and late afternoon, while Mao-era loudspeakers exhort the population to work for great China and not be idle and lazy. Married men go to karaoke bars, which are little more than brothels, and sing and screw their hearts out before going back to BJ. Tractors haul cargo on open trailer while farting noxious clouds of black smoke down the bumpy streets, while black BMW and Audi sedans flit back and forth taking the elites to wherever they want to go. The impoverished, of which there are hundreds of millions in China, watch from the sidelines.

Chinese people think everyone else is stupid, including other Chinese. They are nice to foreigners, but treat each other with contempt. It's interesting to watch.

Chinese routinely talk about how great China is, yet they whore out their remaining cultural icons for money at a moment's notice.

After about fifty trips to that country, the best thing I can say about it is it's better off to ignore it.

So yeah, photos of a woman having her kid take a shit in a trash can is funny, but it also lets one examine how fucked up that country is.

ethics likes this.
  7. ethics

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.