1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Comparison

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Nov 10, 2014.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

The statisticians will excoriate me, but I still like this comparison of two cities that are very comparable in population. One has strict gun control, the other doesn't.

crimes.jpg

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

It figures. What are the ethnic and economic differences between the two cities?

3. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Uhhh, the chart shows that, Allene. We have higher Hispanic population while they have higher black population, whites are about same. The reality is, though, that all the "IT'S GOING TO BE A BLOODBATH ZOMG!!!!1!1!!11!!!!" when we passed concealed carry isn't even remotely a reality here in Texas.

But we do get occasional news reports of some scrote getting killed trying to rob a store or something.

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I like it. Seems like I've seen it before. Where's it from?

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I think I got it from here, but it would be nice to verify with primary data sources. Intuitively (a fancy way of saying "my gut feeling" :D ) it makes sense.

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Texans are brought up to understand--or at least exposed to--the way of the gun, even in my liberal, lily-livered family. Up in Chi-town or the northeast (formerly the arsenal of America, how's that for irony), guns are feared more than respected. It does not surprise me in the least that predators use guns like crazy in these areas.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Uh-oh, I see it now. Thanks, Copz. I was reading the chart on either my iPhone or my notebook while out of town and didn't realize it was cut off at the top. That's impressive, and I know why.