1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interested in trying out Linux

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

http://www.knoppix.com/

This is a full distro that runs from CD-ROM and has been given high marks by lots of people for being able to run so many programs from CD-ROM so well. You don't have to install anything to your hard drive...

2. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Litrux is another one I've heard of that has these "run-from-CD" capabilities as well.

The only thing keeping me from running Linux is that the one computer in my room is my gaming box. Come this xmas, after I upgrade my dad's PC, I'm gonna take his old P166 and put Linux on it. :)

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Before I ask myself if I would want to go to Linux, maybe you youngsters can give me good reasons why I should leave my trusty windows environment?

I mean, yes, it's buggy at times, but I know how to fix many of the features. Plus, Corporate world is still Win dominated, which means Linux won't get you that job.

4. Techie2000

Stability, Price, and support. I have never had Linux crash on me, you don't have to pay anything for updates or upgrades, and I have recieved better support online for Linux, than from any company that makes a product for Windows. Plus I like the command line and some of the geekier aspects of it. I would suggest burning the knoppix ISO and trying it out. You don't have to partition your HDD or anything, but still get a chance to take a look at Linux. Mind you it will probably go slower than if it was on your hard drive...

5. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

IMO, if you're okay with windows, don't bother with Linux. The people that switch to Linux, for a home desktop, are because they're sick of something in Windows, or they're willing to experiment with something different.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Thanks guys. Good pro and con posts.

Techie, if I were to go to Linux, what would be the most user friendly?

7. Techie2000

Mandrake. It has probably the biggest user base on the consumer side, and lots of GUI tools to minimize your interaction with configuration files. It also has a fairly decent hardware detection method. I also like SuSE but you have to pay for it unless your willing to learn how to do an FTP install...