1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interactive History of Philosophy

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Oct 9, 2018.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

MemphisMark likes this.
  2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Never afraid to show my ignorance I will step up to the plate. I think everybody studies philosophy. No, not in the academic sense but in the life sense. Since I find my thoughts on this difficult to express I guess I will never be on anybody's list of philosophers. Your practice in life are based on philosophy and morality. I guess one could say philosophy is how you think you should live your life and morality is how you actually live it.

Courage belongs to those whose morality lives up to their philosophy.

When I read deep quotes of "philosophers" I either think I wish I had said that or that's full of shit. When I read a book of any kind I am reading, to one degree or another, the author's philosophy. Really good books with well developed characters have the ability to express several opposing philosophies.

So can a philosophy be right? For an individual or even a group, yes. For all? No. As groups grow larger it is more unlikely that one philosophy will fit all. Imposing one's philosophy on another brings about conflict. A group that permits the largest gamut of philosophies to coexist is what I wish for.

Allene, SixofNine and ethics like this.
  3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Wow. I'd think for a moment that that is done by the same person who does XKCD, but the drawing is more detailed and in color.

Allene likes this.
  4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Well said, Shiny, especially about imposing one's philosophy on others! Re reading deep quotes of "philosophers," I know a young man, who majored in philosophy, who would go around quoting Nietzsche! Eventually he fell into a deep depression. He got over it, but it was a long recovery.