1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intense Chase/Shootout in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

If the video doesn't start at the chase, fast forward to about 7:50, unless you want to listen to the press briefing.

Kudos to this copper -- balls of steel. My biggest takeaway is that we have to get more current technology into police cars, so he doesn't have to hand toggle a 1950s microphone while driving and getting shot at. At the very least let him toggle the mike from a button on the steering wheel. We could also reduce reliance on verbal reports on position and direction with GPS.

jimeez likes this.
  2. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

That's an understatement. When he raised his gun and aimed it at/though the windshield I thought, "There is no way he's going to shoot through his own windshield."
    I was wrong.
    The driving skills employed by this cop while driving with one hand at those speeds on busy streets was nothing short of phenomenal.

3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Hands-free tech has been available for years, but I think there's often a sense of "How often do we need something like that?" I can remember reading about mic controls on the steering wheel in the 90s. The system had a ceiling-mounted radio mic, too. But departments look at the budget first, then officer needs and safety.

There was a case here in OK a year or more ago where OHP was in pursuit of a guy who'd shot and injured several cops. The trooper who was behind him opened fire through the windshield with his AR and terminated the pursuit. The difference was they were out in the middle of nowhere, on a road that was straight for about 5 more miles. They had air support as well, so they knew there weren't any cars or innocents downrange. Kudos to the guy for stopping the pursuit here, but I'm less than thrilled at where he started shooting.

Arc likes this.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

HOLY SHIT... I think my heart rate was above 140 watching that.

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Listen to these guys rap sheets, why were they still out on the streets breathing in the first place?

ethics likes this.
  6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You know why.