1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India announces Nuclear Command Authority

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Busy afternoon...
    http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/stories/2003010504810100.htm

More than four-and-a-half years after declaring itself a nuclear weapon power, India today made public a set of political principles and administrative arrangements to manage its arsenal of atomic weapons.

Maximum restraint in the use of nuclear weapons, absolute political control over decision-making and an effective interface between civilian and military leaders in the management of its atomic quiver are at the heart of an announcement by the Government after a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS).

The CCS met today to review progress in implementing India's nuclear doctrine, the state of readiness of its strategic forces and the procedures for their command and control.

The significance of the CCS statement lies in the Government's decision to share information on some key aspects of its nuclear weapons management with the Indian public and the world. Although the broad outline of India's nuclear doctrine was known for a while, the nature of its command and control over the atomic arsenal had remained unclear.

The Government filled that gap today by revealing that a two-layered structure, called the Nuclear Command Authority (NCA), was responsible for the management of its weapons. The NCA comprised a Political Council and an Executive Council. The Political Council was chaired by the Prime Minister and "is the sole body which can authorise the use of nuclear weapons", the CCS said. The Executive Council, chaired by the National Security Adviser to the Prime Minister, "provides inputs for decision making by the NCA and executes the directives given to it by the Political Council".

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Am I the only one who's shocked to discover that this was not always the case? Should I be alarmed by the intimation that, up to this point, India's nuclear capability was under only military control?

SM

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I have to wonder if it still is, Steve.

This so called "layering" doesn't instill much confidence. Looks good on paper, but who still controls the "button"?

4. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

After the recent announcement by Pakistan about it's willingness to use nuclear weapons, perhaps India wants to reassure both Pakistan and the world that it takes more than one hand to push the buttons.

5. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

India couldn't "manage" a pissing contest at a beer factory.

6. Sierra Mike

LOL...

but they seem to do all right at 7-11s....:angel:

SM

7. Omar

Omar Registered User

This is precisely why Pakistan, my birth country, does what it does and why it takes India more than any Western country realizes.

India is not pure or angelic. While Pakistan has its faults, if India followed a more moral path, the issue of Kashmir, Karachi, and many other hot issues would not exist today.

8. Sierra Mike

You're Pakistani? I thought you were Jordanian!

SM

9. Omar

Omar Registered User

Born in Pakistan, moved to Jordan when I was a kid.

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I thought I mentioned that? ;)

Omar, with many stopovers in US. ;)