1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immune to AIDS

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Kangaroo, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Fascinating show on PBS last evening about Plague survivors from England. Seems a mutation guarantees immunity, and this mutation also guarantees immunity from HIV. They took a guy's blood and exposed it to three thousand times the infectious dosage of HIV and it never infected his blood. Seems this mutation is found in certain European blood lines and is absolutely absent in Africans, East Asians and Indians.

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Amazing! Grounds for an immunization? Let us hope so!

I had read rumors of people who were immune, based on their exposure through certain lifestyle practices and evident lack of illness. Glad to hear there is some truth to it.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

They saw similar things in African Prostitutes. No idea whether that lead anywhere though.

I sure hope they find a vaccine so I can frolik and fornicate like I was meant to.

Sorry for the last bit, been up since 4 AM and it's Thursday. :)

4. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

They are looking at the way the mutation blocks the HIV from entering white blood cells to see if a drug can be produced which mimicks the process. It looks very promising, since it isn't a treatment but an actual vaccine. I don't know if it can be made a cure, although I guess with blood flushing you could theoretically rid the body of viable virii. Probably won't help AIDS but could fix early stage HIV infection.

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

6. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Old? More like ancient! :lol:

But thanks for resurrecting this one. Fascinating article. What incredible potential!