1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm sorry Sir, your money doesn't smell quite right!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Dec 28, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Here's a business I would love to be in.

Ok, in this decidedly off-the-wall story, a Vermont couple <I>(it had to be Vermont, right?)</I> brings (now get this) "50,000 in cash" "to bail their daughter out of jail". "Most of the money was in $20 bills wrapped in rubber bands, police said."

So, I'm guessing this doesn't happen everyday. However, <I>(it gets better)</I> an alert "officer at the jail smelled the cash and detected a ''slight odor of marijuana,'' according to a sworn statement. A police dog then sniffed it and confirmed the drug smell, according to the affidavit."

Well, there you have it then, since it smells like marijuana, the police confiscated it. In this country, you may be innocent until proven guilty but your money sure isn't.

<small>Hey honey, would you come here and smell this?

2. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

I presume the couple is being charged with...something and the money is being held as evidence? only way I can imagine that being remotely legal.

3. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

From a previous thread...

"Under civil asset forfeiture law, inanimate objects are accused of wrongdoing -- regardless of whether the object's owner is blameworthy in any way. Most of the protections afforded to defendants under criminal law, such as the right to counsel, the presumption of innocence, and the requirement of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, do not apply in forfeiture cases. According to one analysis, 80 percent of people whose property is seized under federal law are never even charged with a crime."

Also see: FEAR (Forfeiture Endangers American Rights) website explanation/history for forfeiture:
    http://www.fear.org/forfeiture-bg.html

4. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Seems like somebody is on the wrong side of the bars. The theives at the district attorney's office belong behind bars. They must have gotten a pay cut and the $50,000 looked too good to pass up. Remember boys and girls, don't steal because the government hates compitition.

5. -Ken

-Ken Guest

No, as I understand it, the couple was released, the money was held.

6. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

There's a reason some people say the "War on Drugs" has become an income business for law enforcement.

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Property forfeiture under drug laws like anything else can be misused. But I can't work up much sympathy either for the parents or whoever was stupid enough to give them the money.

$50,000 in $20s wrapped in rubber bands for what turned out to be a possible drug stop?

Who's doing the drugs? Intent to sell? Man, they weren't selling it, they were to busy smoking it! ;)

8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

No forfeiture of property should be allowed if the owners are not convicted of a crime. That's confiscation. If we have allowed the law to proceed thusly we are wrong.

9. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Here's a little <a href="http://www.sierratimes.com/archive/ray/edrt100900.htm">article</a> I found that sums up this practice very nicely. According to it, many police agencies also have scanners which can detect how much money you're carrying (from the imbedded strips in our new currency), which I find hard to believe but I suppose could be true to some small degree. It also insists that fully 2/3 of our currency has traces of drugs on it.

10. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Did you know that 1/3 to 1/2 of all $20 and higher denomination bills are tainted with cocaine residue? http://www.snopes.com/business/money/cocaine.htm

11. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Mike,

The money wasn't found during a drug stop.
    Go back and reread the article again.
    The truth is stranger than fiction!

12. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

My bad in phrasing. They were pulled over for following a car to closely. The trooper smelled marijuana in the car and a search recovered marijuana and $12,000 in cash.

So the parents then go to the police station with $50,000 in cash wrapped in rubber bands and don't think this is going to raise eyebrows?

The confiscation was wrong but drug laws are draconian in a lot of cases as they allow no discretion.

There should have been a better way for them to come up with the bail money. Financial geniuses these are not.

I hope they get good legal counsel. I also hope they turn in the idiot that gave them the money.

13. IamZed

IamZed ...

They should have washed the funds thru a bondsman. They were dipping into the stock, if you ask me.