1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm pissed off at Facebook

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Susan Addams, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Left Coast Fiscal Conservative

A few days ago I decided to rescind my life long vow to not be on Facebook because I didn't want them invading my privacy. Some friends assured me I could just lurk so finally I decided to try it.

I have heard many stories of FB stealing your address book and spamming all your friends, so I purposefully set up just one email account on my new living room HTPC with no addresses in my contacts, just to give them nothing to steal... And I signed up.

Things went along fine for perhaps 15 minutes then suddenly they said "there is a problem'" and they needed to verify me by a cellphone text. Yeah, sure, suddenly there was a problem. I bet everybody gets that at the same time. Lead the cattle into the pen before you take out the axe. But I had expected cell text verification and had already decided to just accept it. So I did. They sent me a number and I entered it into FB and finished my profile.

Then I went on to a list "do you know these people" and I was astonished that out of about 100 people I knew probably 30% of them. A few I don't want to ever hear from again, but many of the others, a couple dozen, I sent out friend requests. Then I started searching for lost fiends. My best, longest lost friends weren't there, but I found a high school friend who didn't list his high school but did list his college, one that I had attended so I suspected it was him. I sent him a message, "Did you go to ********* High School?"

I had just sent the message when suddenly I got a message that I was being logged out for security reasons. I tried to login again and keep getting the message that my account is locked. I followed one set of instructions, took a picture of my drivers license, obscured my DL number, middle name and address, FB says all they want to see is your picture, your name, and your birth date. I uploaded it on Monday. I'm still locked out! In fact I'm pretty sure they made my account invisible.

I don't know why they are doing this to me. They even found my sister and how the hell did they do that? We don't have the same last name. They found all kinds of people and I have no idea how they know I know these people. Note that they didn't get anything from me because I made up a special email address at Outlook.com that has no clue as to who I am so even if they pillaged my emails they got nothing.

I should note that of course all the data I gave about me was total truth. Well Suzy instead of Susan but I wanted what I'm called, not what's on my drivers license. I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem because I expect many people use nicknames and mine is clearly a diminutive form of my birth name.

They have me completely locked out of my account with no reason given.

They won't let anybody see FB content unless they are a member and locked in.

They have provided no phone number or email address for customer support.

It has been 2 days now since I uploaded my pic of my drivers license.

Just who the fuck are these people? I thought anybody could have a FB account as long as they use their true name, provided a valid email address, and accepted verification via cell phone text. I did all that yet I'm locked out for no reason I can see.

They could contact anybody that I sent friend requests to and ask, "Do you know this Suzy" and 100% of the people I friended would say YES.

Why don't they have any way you can contact them and find out what the problem is and what to do to fix it. It's like they are all a bunch of arrogant bastards.

Am I not good enough to join Facebook?
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's most likely a security algorithm that is looking at your IP address among other things. Your phone number and foreign VPN IP would raise a few flags with their system which could cause an account lockout.
  3. Susan Addams

No VPN involved. I was using my HTPC which goes naked right to my ISP. My phone number is my regular cell number. I answered all questions 100% truthfully. I even included a picture of my real drivers license showing first and last name and date of birth which is what they said they wanted. They said I could block out my residence address so I did. My account name differs only that I used Suzy not Susan.

I've checked with a few friends and my account is just totally gone, except for me, and my only option is to upload my DL again which I did.

The only anomaly is that there were no names in my Outlook address book for them to steal. I have just an Outlook.com email address I set up just for Facebook alone, and the HTPC is the only device that has that email address on it. I have tested the email address by mailing myself and replying, then deleting the emails, to verify the email address works.

I'm at a total loss why they locked my account, and they didn't even tell me why. That's what you get when you tell the truth.
  4. Susan Addams

Well they finally relented and I added a few new friends and sent some greeting messages to two friends who accepted friend requests, and then bang! They logged me out again for suspicious activity and demanded I upload my picture. Again! WTH? It's a real picture of me, not my avatar.

Last time this happened I asked my sister and a few friends and they said during my suspension my page was totally gone, not a trace of me on FB.

I wish I knew what the hell I'm doing that keeps getting me kicked off. They don't even give you a reason. They just kick you off, and there is nobody to ask, "why?"

Anyway my FB page is gone again.
  5. Susan Addams

Well my FB page came back and I got to find a few more friends and then it went away again!

And today it suddenly dawned on me as I was on my way to the gym. I don't know why this thought just struck me then, but I suddenly realized that there is a bigger reality than any of us can imagine, and that things are going on in that reality even though we are not aware of! It suddenly dawned on me that maybe this is more than just a borked corporate website dedicated to brainless socializing. I suddenly realized that maybe it's not FB at all, maybe there is somebody who doesn't like me!

I recalled some ex-neighbors of mine who I saw in the part of FB that says, "Do you know these people?" and gives you the opportunity to "friend" them or send a friend request. I was almost nauseated to see my ex-neighbors on the "do you know these people" and was glad I could just ignore them.

There's just one thing. If I can see them then they can see me!

So I got to thinking about that one and as I was working out I became more and more convinced that my ex-neighbors were reporting me with no cause (apparently you do not have to justify reports on FB) and FB automatically reacts by shutting down the page until they can investigate.

So my next step was to phone one of my friends, actually the little sister (well she's in her 20s) who is an FB addict and my friend's sister. I knew she would tell me what's really happening on FB.

So I called her and yes indeed people screw over other people's pages by unsubstantiated complaints, and FB takes down the reported page until they can verify whether the complaint is justified or not. Worse, they can gang up on somebody and have their friends bomb somebody's page.

I'm almost certain now that's what's happening to me. It's those dreadful ex-neighbors who are doing this. Every time my page comes back they report me again and I get kicked off again for a few days...

So my friend's little sister told me next time I have access I should block the husband and wife which should make my page invisible to them, and if they can't see my page they can't report me.

So now I'm pretty sure this is the true reality and it's that nasty couple who are borking me over, carrying on a vendetta against me. Trust me, they are the nastiest people I have ever met and this is just like them to mess with me on FB.
  6. Susan Addams

Well it looks like my friend's sister was right. She told me how to zip up my FB page tighter than a frog's ass and I've been up for 24 hours now. I blacklisted the nasty neighbors and meanwhile friend's little sis put me in touch with a few friends I've missed and I'm very pleased.

Jeez, you meet the nastiest people on FB. I thought it was for making new friends and finding old friends, but no, that isn't it at all. It seems to be for finding old enemies and them settling vendettas with you. They have made my FB life hell for the last 10 days, and I'm pretty sure shunning them put an end to my account getting cancelled every friggin day.

Unfortunately I had to zip up my account so tight that now MY friends won't be able to find ME. Thanks to those two asshat neighbors. Jeez, I've owned my condo for 2-3 years and any normal person would let old vendettas go after that long. Not them. I just hope that being an asshat carries its own punishment.

I'd sure hate to be them, just because if I were I would hate the person I see in the mirror every morning when I brush my teeth and put on my makeup. Okay just joking on the last part, I usually work from home and the most makeup I usually wear is lip gloss.

Anyway it looks like my account is going to stay up now that I blocked my asshat neighbors and meanwhile friend's little sis put me in touch with more friends I'd been looking for!
  7. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

"On the Internet, you can be anyone you want. Why so many people choose to be idiots escapes me."
  8. Susan Addams

I've discovered more which puts my hypothesis at less than 100%.

My damned Windows 10 computer wanted to update. I Googled for instructions on how to turn off Auto-update and discovered that Win10 was designed by MSFT to auto-update by default, and worse, you can't get at the policy manager in Win10Home to turn it off. I' m wondering if I could add the right .MSC to get access to that system policy.

The events of yesterday were that I was on FB fine, Windows wanted to update, I was done with FB for the day so I let it update. Turned off the TV. (Same is shutting down your monitor.) Later when I came back to FB it wanted me to upload a new picture of myself clearly showing my face. I sent them one, no makeup and a scowl, after returning home from a date and haven gotten ready for bed. Great first date by the way! :) (I broke up with my old lover a few weeks ago.)

Maybe it has something to do with Win10Home changing the security fingerprint of my HTPC that sets off. But that evil couple are nasty enough to do this too.
  9. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Tell us more about this spat with your old neighbors :)
  10. Susan Addams

It was all on them. The wife thought I was moving in on her scummy hubby. I had to LOL about that. If he were the last man on the planet I'd consider switching sides...
  11. dsl987

dsl987 Member

12. Susan Addams

My Facebook has been down for a week now. About a week ago, for maybe the 4th time, they asked me to upload a picture of myself. I took a selfie mirror style and uploaded it. I've been locked out ever since. They say they are reviewing my picture and then log me out.

Maybe I should have put on some makeup instead of the scowl on my face. I'm getting tired of their monolithic organization and absence of any way to contact them and ask, WTF?

I guess some people can't have Facebook pages.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  13. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Very bizarre Susan
  14. Susan Addams

Tell me about it. I just have no clue. Maybe it's that couple that don't like me. I can't think of anything else. It's like FB just lost my most recent upload picture and forgot about me.

The worst part is there is no contact email and no contact form. Short of buying the fucking company it looks like I just have no recourse.

I thought I had banned the right two people, but if I ever get back on I'm going to ban EVERYBODY with that name, and then I'm going to change my email address and see if that helps.