1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm for gay rights but...

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I'm also in recognition that there are people who are not. If it's based on religion, well you know what I think about religion, but there are many who believe that homosexuality is a sin

For those in my life, I've planted plenty of tolerance seeds. Some never changed and that's ok. But some did while retaining their staunch beliefs.

Now to the issue, I don't watch this show, I know it's popular, but what the network did with a teachable moment is typical.
    http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/12/19/dear-ae-congratulations-you-just-committed-suicide/

Copzilla likes this.
  2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Just an observation here, but what he said wasn't hateful. It was saying his Christian beliefs. He doesn't condemn anyone. I guess he should... not say them? If confronted with the topic, he, as a Christian, is now obligated to NOT say what he really believes?

Is that the new norm? Silence all Christians?

This is another one of the Chik-Fil-A setups. Cathey was asked then about what he thought on the topic, and he responded as any Christian would. That was an unacceptable answer, and protests ensued.

I do not believe government should regulate anything to do with sexuality. In that thought process, I am in favor of gay marriage. I believe if you're against gay marriage, then you should be against it at the pulpit. I believe in freedom over religious doctrine. But that freedom INCLUDES religious freedom.

Allene likes this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I thought America was founded on FREEDOM FOR RELIGION? Or am I wrong?

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

While it may have been founded on that principle, the left is doing their best to ensure that any reference to religion is stamped out.

Allene likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Precisely!

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, and it becomes very evident whenever the Christmas season rolls round. A couple of weeks ago, I was ordering a gift card from an online merchant and was looking for one with a nativity scene. They didn't have anything that could be called Christian in their entire selection of "holiday" cards, but they had a Hanukkah card, even though those eight days were celebrated around Thanksgiving this year. Everything else was snowmen, reindeer, and "Happy Holidays" stuff. The left doesn't like religion, but they are out to get Christians in particular. The whole thing is getting old.

7. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2 christians staunchly share their veiws on religion, both are viewed by millions, one gets fired for his beliefs, the other gets the cover of Time magazine.

8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I want to be clear here on what Robertson did. He was not spouting his opinion, he wasn't condemning people, he was quoting the Bible. He was asked what was sin, and he said "well, you can start with homosexuality and go from there", and he quoted a verse in the Bible. He paraphrased it a little, it wasn't verbatim, but it was very close.

And people making a fuss about "You're comparing homosexuality to swindlers". No, not really, you have to understand that in the Christian faith, a sin is a sin is a sin. Any sin is enough to have you condemned in the eyes of God, but for the grace and sacrifice of Christ.

Corinthians 6:9-10

New International Version -
    Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

---

Now it really kills me that some people, particularly liberals but some Christians too, love to grab one passage from the Bible and act as if THAT is the sole defining passage that needs to stand on its own. It doesn't work like that. For instance, they say "Judge not, lest ye be judged", which isn't really what it says. It says "judge not, lest ye be likewise judged", meaning if you are insisting on judging people, be very careful, because you will be held to the same standard.

And understand what "judgement" really is. Judgement intones a penalty. It's leveling some kind of retribution, and that is not for Christians to do.

It doesn't say you aren't permitted to recognize a sin according to scripture. In fact, there are references throughout the entire Bible on what is and isn't a sin, and how Christians are to live their lives.

Among those tenets are to spread love, and kindness. In fact, a recurring theme throughout the Bible, stated over and over and over, is to be good to people. Be kind. This is where that infamous Baptist church completely loses it.

Every time Christ went to minister to people, he started what he was doing with an act of kindness. Healing, feeding, comforting. THEN he went into talking about the kingdom of God. Christ didn't penalize people. And our mission as Christians is to be more like Christ, every day.

There it is. Accept the sinner, not the sin. Help people. A Christian doesn't need to hit you over the head with a Bible; their works speak more loudly than that, their kindness and compassion. The Bible says you will know a Christian by the love they have for others. Christ said "What you do for the least of these, my brothers, you do for me."

Now people can condemn Christians for believing that what is written is a sin actually is a sin. That is wrong wrong wrong. You can only truly criticize a Christian if they are not kind to a sinner, in spite of the sin.

cmhbob, Allene and ethics like this.
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Excellent post, Copz. It's a given that anyone with an agenda can cherry pick passages from the Bible and try to use them to his or her own advantage. We're supposed to be worshiping God and loving our neighbors as ourselves. It's not about judging and controlling everybody else. That said, I have yet to be in a Christian church where judging and controlling doesn't happen, but some congregations are better than others.

10. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Andrew Sullivan:

11. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

A friend posted on Facebook:

What's disturbing to me is the number of Christians who are agreeing with A&E.

12. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

It reminds of AFLAC hiring Gilbert Gottfried and then firing him for being Gilbert Gottfried.