1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illinois Gov to commute 3/4 of Death Rowers to Life?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Stiofan, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Heard about this <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=6&cid=578&u=/nm/20030110/ts_nm/executions_illinois_dc">story</a> on the telly this morning. They reported he was going to commute up to 3/4 of all Death Row sentences to Life w/o parole before he leaves office later this month. Is this a statement against the death penalty or just against the faulty application of it. He has previously said he was for the death penalty, but since taking office has complained it's use was unjust and innocents were likely to be put to death. What's the deal here? Are all of these persons innocent, and if so, why not pardon them. If guilty, should he not carry out the will of the people? Or is it that he can not figure out who is guilty, so wants to error on the side of caution.

2. mike

mike mesmerized

from the article:
    "LAST DAY IN OFFICE

Ryan is a one-term Republican whose political career was ended by a bribery scandal that occurred while he was secretary of state. Monday is his last day in office."

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

The justice system in Illinois has been demonstrated to be extremely faulty in its application of the death penalty. Although supportive of the death penalty, the governor recognizes that many innocent are (not could be) on death row.

By commuting their death sentences to life sentences, he's mitigating those errors.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Oh hell, they may be innocent of the crime they're supposed to fry for, but I'm sure they got away with other stuff. Kill 'em all. Less people, less pollution, global warming goes away. Hey.. Wonder if I could run on that platform?

5. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

..................and there are three sick scumbags that cut a baby from the mothers womb and killed the baby and the mother in the process.
    Tell me they should get their sentence commuted to life so me and every other taxpayer in Illinois can support them for the next thirty or forty years.
    If he wants a review of every deathrow case fine. But some of these animals should take a dirt nap permanently.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Rowd, when and where was this?

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Who does this guy think he is? Since when can a governor change sentences on criminals??? I understand if they're petitioning for a pardon - as far as I knew, this was the only way a governor could change a sentence. But this guy suddenly named himself Judge? Is this even legal????

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Sure is Misu, governors can commute sentences and hand out pardons. I believe Ryan is in fact going to pardon 4 people as part of this also.

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

He is thought to be considering pardoning everybody on death row by Monday when his term ends.

10. ShinyTop

My sympathies to the Illinois electorate. Your governor has decided he knows better than over 160 juries and the people who wanted the death penalty. It is now official. He is going to commute all the sentences of the death row inmates to life in prison. I am glad we elect leaders who make tough decisions and who trust the people.

11. jamming

jamming Banned

The reason he is doing this is his top aide is under indictment, he is not running for re-election and he is doing this out of his desire to look good going out. Bastard Republican!:mad:

12. ShinyTop

Hey, he cannot be Republican. Republicans kill prisoners, they don't commute their sentences. Jeesh, I have to explain everything.

13. jamming

jamming Banned

Well he is a registered Republican and voted into office as a Republican.

14. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

This is a clear example of abuse of power imo.

His actions lead me to believe that a governor's power to commute a sentence or grant clemency should be closely reviewed.

This is not to say that clemency should not exist, but arbitrary clemency based on a single signature leaves the system open to abuse of this nature.

15. ethics

I Agree 100% Mid. This man should never again hold a public office. IMHO, no matter how pro-life, anti-capital punishment he is.
    I would have never done this, and certainly not on this level prior to leaving office.

16. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

17. ethics

Thanks Rowd... I am speechless. :(

18. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Geez... if he feels so strongly that everybody on death row is wrongly convicted... why did he wait until his last day in office to commute all their sentences? Cause he is a spineless coward who didn't have the guts to face the families of all of the people who were murdered by those on death row while still in office? If he is so sure they were all wrongly convicted, why not pardon them all?

19. ethics

Good point, Frank.

20. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Does anyone else find it ironic that he is quoted in my morning paper, after commuting ALL of the death row-ers, as saying that he does not believe in the death penalty because it is "arbitrary and capricious"????

What the hell does he call what HE just did???:huh: