1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you must have a portal site...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

...please take a look at http://www.myway.com/

No ads of any kind, and a nice privacy policy. Very low-key site, been around for a month, now, but they don't advertise, either.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

How is it different than Yahoo, for instance?

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Right off the top of my head, the privacy policy, ethics. Yahoo has degraded theirs tremendously.

I took a look at My Way - I like it! Clean & fast, without the distractions of flash, etc. If they can keep it up, they'll be around for a while...

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Yep, much better privacy policy, plus no advertising at all.

5. ethics

I saw the last paragraph in their statement on privacy though which I have a problem with, I guess...:

If My Way is ever sold or all or substantially all of the assets relating to My Way are transferred to another entity, we will transfer the information you have provided to the acquiring entity in order to ensure continuity of your personalized service. We recognize and welcome our obligation to comply with the law and this policy is subject to that obligation. We will, therefore, disclose personally identifiable information in response to a request from law enforcement officials or as otherwise required by law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect someone's safety, or enforce our Terms of Service. If we decide to materially change this privacy policy, we will prominently post those changes on this page.

First of all, I doubt they will last without advertising. Secondly, they either sink or get bought out, which makes the privacy asset obsolete.

My pov, didn't mean to rain on your suggestion. I think if it had a guarantee of a year at least, I'd be all over that. :)

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

They get their money, somehow, from Google. Something about getting paid when people use the google engine to search.

The law enforcement clause is standad; you'll find it everywhere, of course.

As for the one about being sold, well, there are only two choices for the consumer: either the service continues uninterrupted, which implies a transfer of all business assets, including customer accounts, or the service terminates.

It's a very common practice for customer lists to accompany a sold business. In fact, especially for service industries, the customer list IS the prime asset in a sale.

7. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Well, I must admit I'm encouraged by their "Mission"; check this page out...

http://info.myway.com/index/id/ourmission.html

... and as for profit, not too many have been profitible right off the bat, as they say they will be...

8. ethics

I am batting a 1.000 today.

Ok, so MyWay MAY sell your stuff to others when and IF they are sold. Yahoo, my portal atm, sells it EVERYDAY to someone.

I will set up an account here and see how it goes. :)

9. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Why don't we just get some vB portal software and setup a portal in place of the forum redirect? You can put about everything from there to the vB portal...

10. ethics

I thought people hated vb portals?

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I liked them...

12. ethics

It's do-able, of course, just didn't know people liked them. :)

13. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I like myway.com it is pretty slick so far. I use google and this place searches by google and I have a bigger email account there than I do at hotmail. I'll keep going to it for a whiloe at least. Thanks for showing us.

wapu

14. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I just signed up for it... Looks pretty good to me!!

Thanks stevent!! :thumbsup:

BDD... :{)

15. ethics

Day 2 of MyWay usage and I have to admit that it IS nicer than Yahoo at the moment. The page loads are incredibly fast.

16. ethics

Uhm, why does MyWay come out in red? There's no code for the color coding either.

17. ethics

Anyway

Coming Soon:

• Portfolio Exporting - Export your My Way portfolio into a CSV file format to open in Excel or other programs.
    • Importing Bookmarks - Move all your Yahoo! bookmarks to your My Page "My Bookmarks" module in no time.
    • Local Newspaper, My Cartoons & My Columnists Customizable Links - Can't find your local paper, favorite cartoon or columnist on your My Page? Soon you'll be able to customize your own links within these three My Way modules.
    • One-Click Yahoo! Address Book Importation - Move your Yahoo! address book information to My Way in a single click. (big for me)
    • Ski Report - Get the latest downhill, snowboard and cross-country ski conditions on My Way, including new snow within the past 24 hours, base depths, lifts and runs open, events and more.

18. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Yahoo won't let me change the layout or what I want to see - I've been trying to for the last 2 weeks, and it refuses to change the things it shows me. I've been looking for a new portal place for a while - gonna check this one out.

19. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

ooo i love the themes.... It actually works, unlike yahoo - it's eerie how much like Yahoo it looks and feels though, but the themes are so much better than yahoo's.

Don't know if to change my email to them - I've had my yahoo email for such a long time now.