1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you have unlimited data plan... It may be gone soon

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, Aug 21, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

AT&T has been throttling unlimited plans once they reach 5 gigs in a month for a while now. Throttled speeds are about like the old EDGE network speeds....slow.

Luckily, it's only happened to me once. With so much wifi available, it's usually not an issue.

ethics likes this.
  3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Still not giving it up though. Throttled is better than extra charges. ;)

ethics likes this.
  4. Greg

Greg Full Member

My cellular plan (iPhone + iPad) is limited at some point, but I've never come anywhere near it AFAIK. But I don't watch video via cellular.

I suspect most of the people who run into bandwidth limits or throttling are either using their phone/tablet for bandwidth intensive operations, or are using their phone/tablet's hotspot feature to use their cellular as their main ISP for home computer use. My cousin does that, mostly because he makes so little money he can't afford a real ISP.

Comments?

5. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Dunno why they don't just go to a flat per MB rate, the more you use the more you pay

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Because some clueless fools think their phone is the same as their computer at home and whine incessantly if they don't have 24/7 unlimited access.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

What my cousin is doing, using his Android phone in hotspot mode and watching a movie or TV program occasionally is pretty stupid, but his business is doing very poorly and he can barely afford to sublet a room for $400/month. What's ironic is that his dad, my uncle, went through $1M net worth several times in both directions, was worth perhaps several $M at the height of his real estate career, and died a pauper. My cousin's poverty makes me feel bad.

A lot of people use their cellphone/tablet hotspot feature like an ISP. I think I'm more typical that I use my cellular Internet mainly when I'm away from home, to access Internet resources, but I use my WiFi at home.

Why is everybody using so much cellular data?