1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IBM To build world's Fastest Super Computer

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by jamming, Jan 1, 2003.

1. jamming

jamming Banned

US Department of Energy (DOE) has contracted IBM to build two fastest Computer's in the World today. IBM ASCI Purple and Blue Gene/L, with a combined peak speed of 467 Terraflops theywill communicate with a netwoek capable of sustained bandwidth of 12,500GB, and 50 Terrabytes of Memory. These unit will exceed the present units in use of IBM's ASCI White and ASCI Blue Pacific.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

IBM is on the roll. First JP Morgan picks them for almost a 5 billion dollar contract, and now this.

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I want one :(

4. jamming

jamming Banned

I am sure midranger if you pony up the money they would build you one too. ;)

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Ok...I will settle for playing (I mean working) on one :)

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Need an apprentice? Good work ethic, quick learner, has own tools, can grovel and boot lick superiors as needed ;) )

7. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

As soon as the DOE lets me at the console Mike you're in :)

I won't hold my hand on my butt waiting for an invite by the DOE though....it would likely grow root.

I am very curious however what type of applications dictate the need for such horsepower. They have to be mind boggling.

8. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

There is an old joke in biz that an executive never got fired for contracting Big Blue.

And guess what, Microsoft is not the OS when it comes to super computing.

9. ethics

Actually, I used to be an admin (Disaster Recovery for NYC site using journaling via Lakeview's Mimix application) on the AS/400.

Was one of the most fun jobs I had. :)

10. jamming

jamming Banned

The big one uses are duplicating the theoretical aspects of a Nuclear Device from present condition through the explosion, the other is the charting of disease vectors through a population, and numerous weather operations. These are a few of the non-classified uses of such computing power.

11. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Those guys will do just about ANYTHING to get their SETI Team higher in the ranks!rofl

12. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

SGI still for the most part owns the Gov. market when it comes to Super Computers and the XCFS shared file system is slick as sh*t.

It has just been ported to Linux, release later this quarter, to scale across massive amounts of processors and memory and shared data storage.

Super Computing show at Baltimore showed it off and it was slick.

The Linux comunity will benefit from their hard work. This is too cool.sgi XCFS

13. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Why Ethics I would have never guessed.

You were QSECOFR?

I enjoy making the initial program *SIGNOFF for system abusers, they aren't quite as amused :)

We've also been known to create subsystems with fake sign on screens and present *custom* display files to newly hired programmers.

Nothing like a new programmer rushing to my desk on a Monday morning saying he has somehow accessed the F.B.I computer systems !

99.9999% of the time we are quite behaved but it is nice to have a little fun once in a while :)

14. ethics

Pronounced QUE SEC OFFER. ;)

Yah, it was mega fun since AS/400 was a great concept and I knew it would go far. I came from S/37 then we migrated over to AS/400. :)